Kamodo's as pets

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by whoppery5k, Aug 23, 2006.

1. whoppery5k

whoppery5k Embryo

Can any one Help??? A pet shop I went to told me he could hold of any animal I wanted. So as a joke I asked about a kamodo Dragon. He said I could have one in 2 weeks. So I then asked about an Anaconda, and to my suprise he showed me out back where he had 3 baby one's. and had just sold 2.
    Now as far as Im aware keeping any of these is illigal in the U.k unless your a zoo of some sort.
    But why would any one want a 10ft 200lb eating machine or a 30ft long snake that could become the most deadly sleeping bag in the world?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member

RE: Kamodo

Komodos are internationally protected and highly regulated in import/export, it is highly unlikely they could get you one, though, there are plenty of other large monitor lizard species readily available, like crocodile monitors and Nile monitors, both of which get to a very impressive size. As for anacondas, the greens are the species which gets large, and they tend to top out in the 20 foot range. Only very few get much larger. Keeping those is not really any more strange than a Burmese or reticulated python which can attain such lengths as well. I can't speak on the UK laws, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had no restrictions on large snakes and lizards. Most places don't pass a law unless it becomes a problem - of course, if they're selling to anyone who asks, it can quickly become a problem. :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Snake_God_666

Snake_God_666 New Member

RE: Kamodo

Yea anacondas arent as much of a hassel as they are made out to be (useless movies)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jaykemper

jaykemper Member

As for the Komodo's, i did some research.. not extensive so i cant tell you how true it is:

Thats a killing machine.

Mabye a deffiecincy if your local pet store cannot give you enough deer each month? :)

AND
    So poaching is a problem...

If all zoo's cant have them...

In conclusion i would say that if he is truly serious, i wouldnt say its legal. However all info was from one site: http://www.colchester-zoo.co.uk/komodo/ind...agons_of_komodo

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member

I would imagine the vast majority of poaching of komodo dragons involves killing them for their skin, teeth, claws, and organs in some "herbal" medicines. Not really bringing them into the captive animal trade.