Is my Baby Savannah Monitor Acting Normal

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by jbny0704, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jbny0704

jbny0704 New Member

I just got this baby Savannah Monitor, about 2 weeks old still a hatchling. I have never had a baby savannah before and I don't know if she is acting okay. She seems really lazy, and doesn't move a lot. I have yet to see her eat, I mean aren't they supposed to be really hungry and active? I have baby beardies that I breed so I see how active they are from day 1 and I feel like there might be something wrong with my savannah. So I have only had her for 2 days and the people we got her from didn't seem like they took great care of her, he had another one that was veryyyy skinny so I said I didn't want the other one.

So when i put her down she gets like limp and if her arms are underneath her she wont try to move them so that they arent under her anymore. When I put her in her new tank I put crickets in there and she stuck out her tongue and was smelling them, and she was moving so slow, I could tell she really wanted a cricket and she was trying to go after them but she wasnt picking her feet up enough and it was like she was swimming in her coconut fiber, not even walking.

She may have eaten some crickets, I don't know but I was holding a cricket by the leg today and held it in front of her mouth for a while and she didn't eat it. Her head is droopy a lot like she doesn't want to support it.

Please help before its too late, I dont know if she should be more active or what i should do.

She has all proper lighting and basking spots, along with a little cave and magnetic rock to hide under/in.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I have never dealt with babies before but it certainly doesn't sound right.
    I would remove the fibre and put it on papertowel or shelf liner for now so it cant ingest anything.
    You sound like you know about beardie requirements so obviously you have a good idea of the needs of a sav.
    Try increasing the temps slightly and get some Pedialyte, make up a warm bath of it and try soaking, it may drink a little but will absorb it as well, infact try and syringe a bit direct into mouth.
    Hopefully someone with more experience with babies will see this and offer better advice.
    Wish you luck with the little guy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. beefcake

beefcake Member

you might wanna post details of everything about it and its enclosure, substrate, lighting and where you got him from? could be that the person you got it from just gave your a bad sav. idk

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jbny0704

jbny0704 New Member

Well, it seems that I indeed got a very sick baby savannah monitor. I did not see these posts until just now about advice but when i got home from work yesterday, I went and got Pedialyte (unflavored) as well as Vanilla Ensure, full of protein. So when i got the dropper all ready, I picked her up and I knew she would be dead in a matter of minutes. She didnt care how her head flopped, or anything. I put some in her mouth and she didnt swallow it at all. She passed away, then she came back to life, it was wierd. Then I soaked her for 2 minutes or so, then desperately tried to drop feed her again, but ultimately she did die. So sad, I only had her since Sunday night.

I called up the guy I got her from and just yelled at him. But there's nothing I can do, I don't know where he lives or anything. And the other baby he had probably died too, how sad.

Thanks for the advice though.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's very sad to hear, it was certainly very poorly when you got him and the chances are the other lil guy has passed on as well.

I know this doesn't help now but for future reference not only for you but anyone else reading this.

Before you do any deal, always get their full name and address and phone number (landline is best). Then either check with phone company or if you have one in the States the Electoral register.
    Here in the UK the Electoral Register contains all the names and addresses of people eligable to vote and it your right to check this. If it all checks out then go ahead.

If they refuse to give you any details or only give you a cell number then my advise is leave well alone.