I'm thinkin of buying a savanna monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Rimshot, May 14, 2004.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

Experienced with beardies, new with savanna monitors. Can someone direct me to a good, and reliable care sheet for savanna monitors. Also, i'd like to hear any of your suggestions, and comments. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I don't know of any caresheets specifically, but I can tell you one thing...be prepared. Monitors need a lot of room to do well and can be feisty when being handled. In my opinion, these are not simple aquarium-kept animals. They need good sized (preferrably outdoor) enclosures where they have plenty of room to move around. They usually get to about 4ft but can get close to 6ft easily. One (maybe two) adults should have at least 100 square feet to live in. They can live on rodents but the high fat content can lead to obesity so they really should have a varied diet that includes things like insects, crayfish, in other words, low fat food. Store bought canned monitor diet can be too high in protein so you have to be careful using it and don't use it as the main staple of the diet. They also like to bask at high temps (close to 100 degrees) but need a large area to forage and seek cooler shade in. They're a lot of work and big animals. Even though they are considered 'beginner' monitors, if all you've worked with are beardies, then I would try something else before going with the monitor. I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to know all the facts and be prepared for what it takes to care for these wonderful lizards.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. krash

krash Embryo

you can find decent care sheets @ monitor_lizards.net also i have 10 yrs exp keepong them so feel free to ask questions