Iguanas in Southern FL

Discussion in 'Florida Reptile Nuts' started by Sanrih, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Sanrih

Sanrih New Member

I don't know if this should be in the FL forum or the Iguana forum but I'll post it here.

Has anyone noticed a problem with wild iguanas in FL? My dad is in construction and constantly complains about the iguanas here in south FL running wild and how big they get. He says some people let their pet iguanas loose and now theres hundreds of them... I always just ignored him but I was speaking to some who is having a problem with a six foot iguana in his neighborhood. He has a young daughter about a a year or two old. Him and his wife witnessed an iguana in their area killing their neighbor's cat. I guess the iguana caught the cat by the throat and completely tore him apart. He said that the same iguana has been eating the ducks the come to the shore of their pond.

He's called animal control and they said they can't do anything about it. He's worried about his daughters safety now and wont let her outside of the house. I guess this iguana now has another iguana friend hunting the ducks with him now and I'm just wondering if anyone else in FL has had this problem with iguanas? And if there's anyway to move them or anything...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

I doubt the Iguanas are eating ducks and cats considering they are herbivores and only eat plants, they might hit them with their tail, killing them if they think they are in danger.

I don't think you want to try physically moving them. I get plenty of long, deep scratches and scars from my Iguana and she's tame. Your talking about wild, full grown ones. If they're 6 ft long it's most likely a Male, and they are more aggressive. Maybe you can possibly set up a huge trap that won't harm him and when you catch it take it somewhere out of the city and let him loose?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SamAndLindy

SamAndLindy Member

Hendrix THESE ARE NOT NATIVE. They fight for food in the everglades and other places. Invasive reptiles seem to be more and more common everyday.
    We once had a iguana when I was 9 that got loose.That was a accident and I know that if nothing has eaten it.It would proaply find a colony of iguanas somewhere and lay eggs.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sanrih

Sanrih New Member

yeah well I almost suggested that to the man - setting a trap and handing him over to animal control... or something.. I didnt because he didn't know anything about reptiles and I'm not knowledgeable enough to even suggest having them try it... I'm just a little surprised that it HAS grown into enough of a problem for them to be attacking pets in a neighborhood...
    I lost my cornsnake 6 months ago but I wasnt worried since they are native (i think because theres so many wild ones) and if he's not dead hes thriving... he still could be in my room though o_O who knows! :D