Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by StikyPaws312, Nov 12, 2012.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well, as most of you know Hurricane Sandy blasted the North East a couple of weeks ago, and then just a week and a half later we got blasted again with Winter Storm Athena.

Thousands of people are still without power 14 days after Sandy, a number of which may have gotten power for a few hours, just to have it knocked back out again by Athena. The devastation on the shores of long island and new jersey are something I have never seen before and hope to never see again in my lifetime.

There are so many people and businesses who have literally lost everything. I'm sure you have all seen the "telethons" and concerts and other countless fundraisers and charities online and on TV but I just wanted to let you all know that natural disasters can happen to any one of you. Please please please prepare. I said this last year when Hurricane Irene hit our area and I was evacuated from my home, have a plan. Please make some kind of a backup plan, but know that even if you do, some things can still be out of your control and things can go wrong.

Here is a link to my previous posts about evacuations and disaster plans for your pets.

Unfortunately, over the week and a half span of Sandy and Athena I lost all of my leopard geckos and 2 gargoyle geckos, my only surviving reptiles are my two chahoua and Uromastyx. I only lost power for a few days but my house got down to 48 degrees. I was away on my honeymoon when we lost power and my friend who was taking care of my reptiles didn't have power at home either... he brought my Uro in to work so he could still have his light on during the day but he didn't notice that my leos needed heat too since they just have UTH's under their tank. My friend brought his generator over to my house every day for a few hours to hook up to the heat so my cats and dog wouldn't be freezing, but it wasn't enough for my reptiles.

I don't blame my friend at all and there really wasn't anything anyone could do. I just urge everyone to have a plan and try your best but to always remember that some things can still be out of your control, and if you're asked to evacuate by the authorities, please do so. Please stay safe and I hope no one has to go through what the communities here on Long Island, NYC, and NJ have had to go through.

Reference:
    Link to photos of my town after Hurricane Sandy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Badger711

Badger711 Member

My condolences regarding your pets Lauren, I hope you and your family are all intact with minimal damage after Sandy. The hurricane lightly hit my home town and family up north, and have seen the damage it has wreaked. I hope all is well, and appreciate the post :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

This post makes me want to cry. =( Of all people we know you were prepared for almost anything. But like you said, things can still happen that are out of your control. I'm so very sorry for your losses and hope the remaining geckos and uro are still doing well.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Thank you. I just hope people read this and realize that sometimes things happen and you just have to be prepared for anything.

naykid likes this.