Humidity in Corn Enclosure

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Rainey, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Rainey

Rainey New Member

I know that corns dont require humidity for anything other than shedding. I am wondering, more out of curiousity, does humidity have any ill effects on corns if it's always humid in it's cage.

I saw those fog makers for herps and I was curious about it. That's all.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd go for a fog maker...

It's pretty humid in their native Florida, but not continually misty..

Usually they'll burrow down (especially now while they're brumating) into the ground where it's fairly moist & humid...

So, I wouldn't say a little humidity is bad for them as a permanent fixture in their enclosure, but you want to be careful you're not inspiring fungus & mould to breed in the enclosure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

You are going to want to keep at least a moderate level of humidity in a corn's enclosure. Most of the range of the corn snake is somewhat humid ranging roughly from 50% or better humidity level during most of the snakes active season. In most cases with a bark type substrate one water bowl under the heat lamp will keep the humidity levels sufficient for most of the year. During the winter when you have the heater kicking and drying things out spraying once a day will help boost the humidity levels back up to a normal range.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

I keep my corns at 50 -60 percent humidity all year round, anbd have done this for years. i have never had a colubrid with a shed. it is very rare that you hear of a corn sanke with a respritory problem, unless they have no heat or anything thatn you can expect something bad to happen.

froggy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Neil

Neil New Member

Only very high humidity would be bad for a corn as these snakes actually require moderatre levels. Personally, I spray the viv lightly every day to keep it slightly humid. The amount of spraying required depends on your area's natural levels of humidity.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. strobe212

strobe212 Embryo

ive been having humidity problems in my tank and would like to increase it if possible. i use terrarium lining (i guess its astroturf or something like that; it clames to be good for snakes) in my enclosure b/c its really easy to clean. if i switch to bark substrate, will it be significantly better for my snake (see stormyva's post)? id rather keep the terrarium lining if its not a significant difference.