hows this "gutload" sound for crickets?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by mr~python, Aug 15, 2006.

1. NonstickRon

NonstickRon New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: hows this "gutload" sound for cric

No problem, taken for what it was. Mr Python, I was only suggesting that perhaps the results you brag of might be unhealthy. I actually do know absolutely nothing about the creature you speak of, no reason to be a child however. (Looks at profile) Oh wait...

All about mr~python
    Adolescent

Fear not Sir, will avoid all of your posts in the future.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: hows this "gutload" sound for

If you feed fishfood to a feeder fish youd use something of feeder grade fish food...not fish food that benefits the fish, but instead benefits the animal which eats the fish...besides feeder fish all have flukeworm and other parasites, or so ive been told/read. besides i dont think you feed ackies fish.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Just like you feed your crickets a diet that gives them the best nutrition for your herps, you'd feed the fish a diet that gives them the best possible nutrition for your herps. Do you care what their colors are if they're just feeders?
    Fish are also able to digest all of those ingredients and break them down. Crickets and herps may not be able to do the same. There is no need for a cricket to break down the ingredients in a slime coat enhancer. So the chemical just sits in their system and is fed to your herps. Said chemical may just build up in your herp's system until it reaches dangerous levels. It happens with several vitamins (A, D, E to name a few), why can't it happen for other chemicals?

Let me ask you a question...how to you feel about the diet fed to the animals you eat? Cattle are fed growth hormones to increase their beef yield. Studies are currently being done to address their affects on the humans that eat them. Genetically modified crops are quite common, with unknown effects on humans (which is why they are banned in some cases). How about all of the antibiotics that animals are pumped up with that are then passed on to us? Think that is playing a role in the sharp increase of resistant bacteria lately? If you don't mind all of those additives in your own food, I can understand why you don't worry about it being in your herp's diet. Personally, I worry about that stuff and do my best to remove unneeded chemicals from my leos' diet whenever possible. I'd feel awful if I took 5 years off of their lives because of something the crickets were eating. They have no say in what sacrifices get made in their diet, so I try to make no sacrifices. Until they can communicate which risks they are comfortable with, I'm not going to force them to take any at all.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Exactly, Dacubs! Why do you think there is so much cancer around us, moreso than say, 20 years ago? If caresheets tell you that your herp may live 15 to 20 years, wouldn't you want it to live that long? Or do you think 5 to 10 years is good enough? I want to give my herps the best care possible. I, myself, get attached to the little buggers. :D But when I ask for advice, I don't criticize the people giving it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr~python

mr~python Member

where can i ind this "feeder quality fish food"?

im sorry i overreacted about Rons claim that i might be powerfeeding. i apologize. that was very immature and rude of me. it just annoyed me that someone was telling me a powerfeed my animal when they have no knowledge of the animal or its care or growth rate for that matter.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

I would just leave out the fish flakes. I personally use the premium gutload from www.cricketfood.com and I think it's great.

12. mr~python

mr~python Member

im not going to pay $6.00 for a single pound og cricket food. im switching to roaches anyway.

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

They still have to be gutloaded.....and not with fish food. Just because the feeder has changed doesn't mean the validity of this conversation has. It doesn't matter which feeder you use, it still has to be properly gutloaded or it serves no, or possibly a detramental, purpose to your herp.

14. Janice

Do you have any idea how long a pound of food will last you? It's not that bad, considering the benefits of using it. I have a petstore leopard gecko (before I knew any better) and she had dropped her tail. She just never had a very wide tail. Her tail is so very, very fat now, and she looks great. It's the cricketfood.