how to tell the sex of a uromastyx

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by UroLover, Jun 28, 2005.

1. UroLover

UroLover New Member

I have 2 Uromastyxs and I need to know how to tell if my Uros are males or females and how old do they have to be mate.

Help,
    UroLover

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

What type of uros? In most the sexes look quite a bit different. Can you post pics?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. UroLover

UroLover New Member

Sorry, I can't post any pics and my uros are malis.

UroLover

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

Typically a Uro reaches sexual maturity about 4 years of age. Telling the sex is usually done by the coloration of the Mali. Males usually have a larger, wider head which is normally black. Males also have a majority of body color as black with a brighter yellow pattern. Females have a narrower head that is usually tan in color with a black or dark patern. The picture next to my name is of my female mali. Females body color is also a majority of tan. If you check out www.deerfernfarms.com website you can see the pics of males and females and the different color patterns. Keep in mind there are females that mimick males color patterns. Thus coloration and pattern are not an absolute when sexing. The only way to find out absolutly is to have them DNA tested. Most of the time coloration is what everyone goes by when sexing a mali.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. UroLover

UroLover New Member

well now i know that Mumbo is a male but i dont know about Nevin. Nevin is tan and he has a large head so im not so sure and he is bout 7in long. Mumbo is 10in long. So please help!

UroLover

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

If i could see a pic I could be more help. You can look at the femoral pores between the rear legs. But like color it's not a definite.

The following information was copied from http://www.anapsid.org/uromastyx.html

The presence of large femoral pores with waxy protuberance and hemipene bulges can often distinguish males, however this is not obvious on all species. Males tend to have broader heads but this is often subtle or misleading. Uromastyx ornatus are the easiest to sex due to enlarged femoral pores on the males and adult males are more colorful than females. Uromastyx acanthinurus can be extremely difficult to sex. Probing does not work with Uromastyx acanthinurus and may not be a useful tool for the genus.

Melissa has alot of good information on her site, I have spent countless hours reading her information and comparing it to what I practice. I think you could spend 4 hours a day for a year reading all the information
    and still not have read it all. I will see if I can find a pic or post a pic for reference.

12. UroLover

UroLover New Member

kk thanks

UroLover

13. hairlikeafox

hairlikeafox New Member

I've heard that you can tel by the width of the thighs, if they are more muscular then they are male, if they are more on the scrawny side, then they are female. Im not sure if thats true or not

14. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

Huh...Never heard of that one. That may be true but, they would have to be in good health. Do you happen to know where you heard it from. That would be worth looking into just for curiosity's sake.