how often do you change reptile carpet?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by skatehead92, Dec 15, 2005.

1. skatehead92

skatehead92 New Member

One of my friends(justin) just got an 8 mounth old leo. Its not very big maybe 4.5-5 inches.The leo is on reptile carpet. He wants to how often he should he change the carpet and how? Is there a special way it needes to be cleaned?

He also has another question the leo has been in a ten gallon tank for its whole life so far and my friend is wondering if he could change to a 35 gallon tank. Justin wants the leo to have a lot more room to run around and hunt, also wants to have more cage decorations. -thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

RE: how often

I take out and clean the shelf liner in my tanks about every week. For reptile carpet you can just put it in the washer and it will clean. The more space your leo has the better it will be. Your leo will enjoy all the room to run around in.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

I have the reptile carpet in all of my tanks... I take it out once a week, wipe it down, and throw it in the washer. As for having the 35 gallon, I'm sure your friend's gecko would love the extra room! A 10 gallon tank is really the bare minimum space requirements for keeping one adult gecko... I have all my guys in 20 gallon longs, gives you lots of room for extra cage furniture and extra hides.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I pick up poo and do any spot cleaning if necessary every day. I only replace/wash the carpet once a month along with the whole tank cleaning.
    As for washing the carpet, I either toss in the washing machine or hand wash in antibacterial dish soap. Rinse WELL and air dry. (It's supposed to be ok to machine dry, but I find that the carpet stays nicer longer with air drying.)

Your friend's leo will LOVE a 35 gal tank, especially if he puts in interesting hides and climbing furniture.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. opy01

opy01 Well-Known Member

I spot clean daily and wash every 2 weeks. A 10 gallon tank is too small for an adult leo, he will be sooo happy to get the 35 gallon.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. skatehead92

skatehead92 New Member

ok thanks alot

12. yorkshire_lad

yorkshire_lad Embryo

wont the soap be harmful to thye leo if you put it into the washer

13. zenreptiles

zenreptiles New Member

I use baby detergeant on my repti-carpets. I found out you can keep throwing them in the washing machine once a week for about 6 months when they start to get tattered. If you alternate every week between 2 carpets, you won't have to buy another for a year.