How often do they poo?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by verycrazygirl, Oct 25, 2005.

1. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

Hello... Yep im a pain, im really sry. I searched for the answer in previous posts but none of them answered it. They just got me a little worried. See all the other posts were about weird faeces or they're just way too abundant! But I've had Soraia for almost two weeks now and i havent seen any poo... shes a year old and has been eating normally. Maybe its the aspen thats hiding it. how big is 1 yr old snake poo? wat color? how do i find it? How often do they poo?
    Thx[/u]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

We also have a hard time finding our corns poo. About the only time we can easily find any is when we are cleaning out the cage while she eats. I think she goes once or twice a week about 3-5 days after eating, but it could be different. She does burrow a lot which means she may be going down under the aspen instead of on top.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. matt_k

matt_k New Member

I'm sure she's already gone. Search in the substrate, it's in there somewhere. My adults take about 4 or 5 days after eating before they defacate and my hatchlings take about 3 days. It'll all depend on how active they are too. When I handle my adults after eating, they'll usually go much quicker than they do if I don't handle them.

What you can do is give your snake a bath in some warm water and let it run through your hands a few times. Every single time I give one of my males a bath they take a poo in the water. My females have never done it (I'm not sure if that's coincidence or not). So if you're pretty concerned about it, try that.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jammer

jammer Member

Mine goes 3 to 4 days after feeding. He is 15 months old.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Basically, they go as often as they're fed.

The best way to find it is to keep your snake on a non-particulate substrate, like shelf-liner or reptile carpet. Then you can easily see what's what.

If you've got the animal on a substrate such as cypress mulch or shredded aspen, often they'll bury themselves under the substrate, poop, and then crawl back out (I would guess an instinctive habit in an attempt to mask their trail from potential predators).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

Oh.. gr8 :? so what do i do? just dig around till i find it?

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

hehe, pretty much.

My boas do the same thing, and a couple of days after they start feeding I have to go hunting around for the poop to make sure they've gone. I made the mistake of merely thinking one of them had gone, cleaned out her cage, and then 2-3hrs later she went (big time!). I was NOT pleased, lol :D

13. jammer

jammer Member

verycrazygirl, Mine goes a few days after eating. If I take him out regularly, he very often goes when I have him out. Wait the 2 days after feeding and then get your snake out every day after that. You can see near the tail how the body bumps out a bit when they have to go. You just have to have paper towel ready lol. Also, just before they go, they sit real still staring at nothing. So if your snake generally slithers around constantly while out, you can tell when he might go. If your snake is that old, you should be able to smell the difference in his viv after he goes. As soon as I open the doors on my snakes viv, whew!!! It doesn't take long to find it using "smell-a-vision". Also, don't use your hands to dig around. LOL!!!

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Jammer, I know eh?? I know right off the bat. Yuck! Usually mine makes it easier for me though. He doesn't usually burrow when he poops.

15. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

I still cant find it! I mean she must ave pooed at least once since she came! Her last feed was tuesday so i'll look around again later. The viv doesnt smell anything. This is worse than 'find wally'!

16. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

OMG!!!!!!! I searched her viv thoroughly and found zilch i mean it ZILCH and then i tried out what matt_k, said! and OMG she did it right in the bath after slithering around a little!!! Its a lot easier to clean in the bath!
    Thx u uys!!
    (I had no idea that the bath results would be so... 'productive'...) :mrgreen:

17. matt_k

matt_k New Member

It's pretty sick when you're giving it a bath and it does it's business right on your hand. I learned that right quick. So now I leave baths up to my girlfriend. The bath thing always works for me.

18. ktexp2

ktexp2 Embryo

Well, at least it did it in the bath! Its not fun to get pooped on!

19. jammer

jammer Member

verycrazygirl, She might go just because you took her out too. I fed my guy Monday, and I took him out earlier this evening, and he went. Mine doesn't like water at all, so I gave up with the bath idea, and then he just goes anyway. I don't like the idea of my snake being in the water after he goes. I know you take the snake right out, but it's not like you can give him a soapy bath.

20. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

lol.. yeah . Im just glad she went! Lol and i dont mind if thats where she keeps doing it! Its a lot easier to clean. I dont think it was coz i took her out though coz i'd already taken her out before a few times and .. nada. Oh and btw te whole 'staring into nothing' is true too.. lolol

21. jammer

jammer Member

verycrazygirl, That staring thing...... pretty funny.

22. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

23. susyq

susyq Member

mine usually deficate 3-5 days after feeding, and some times its on the top of the substrata some times burried, you just have to dig around. a cat litter tray scoop is good for this or an old spoon or childs spade

24. verycrazygirl

verycrazygirl New Member

Hey guys
    Just sumthin funny. So like the last few times right on cue, two days after a feed my baby goes swimming in the tub and...prrrrrrttt presy!! but last week I was away for a few days and she missed her weekly bath. So what did she do? well she just did it in her water bowl.. LOLOLOL shes so funny! I guess she wont do it if its not in water anymore hehe

25. Wazupwolf

Wazupwolf Embryo

my father and i are new snake owners we have a ball python about 2-2 1/2 months old. weve had him for about a week. five days after we fed him he still hasnt defacated. 5 more days and he STILL is yet to deficate. well we thin he hasnt yet not 100% positive but like 40%. is there something wrong? hes quite active but itd be nice to know if theres a problem