Hi everyone, just a couple of questions..

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by CherryXD, Feb 10, 2005.

1. CherryXD

CherryXD Embryo

Hi everyone! I’m Chari (pronounced like Sharry >;P)

Up until recently, I’ve owned a gargoyle gecko. He lived to a ripe old age (IMO) of seven years till he passed awhile ago. So I’ve done a little bit of homework, and found that the crested geckos are most similar. So, before I buy at the next NY expo, I’ve got a few questions:

1. I kept my gargoyle in a 15gal tall tank, with a super thick paper towel (substrate) to hold in moisture, and a tall fichus and a vine/rock/log here and there. Is this setup adequate enough?
    2. I used a UVB lamp in conjunction with one of those 24hr heat bulbs. (Only when the temperature dipped below 60; basically winter ^^;;) Do these cresties absolutely need the UVB? How about heating?
    3. I’ve noticed the gargoyle was more docile then my Leos, and certainly less aggressive than my Tokay. Does the same apply for the cresties?
    4. Do these guys eat silkies? I hate crickets.. got my gargoyle to eat the lil buggers though.

Weeee! Thanks for your time :p

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yes they VERY simlilar. almost identical in terms of care

1) You'll really wan't a slighty larger cage for an adult crestie. A 20 gallon tall/high is adequate for a single adult, it measures 24" x 12" x 16" ( l x w x h ).

2)Too much UVB can actually kill cresties, as with gargoyles. They are not exposed to the UV rays much, if ever in their native enviornment in the dense forest. Not too mention they are nocturnal. Depeding on the type of bulb you use, it can be both bad and good. If you have a low producing UV bulb, thats mainly used for light only, thats okay.

The heat should be like a gargoyle gecko, daytime mid 70's to High 70's, and night can drop down to mid 60's with no worry. Don't let it exceed the low to mid 80's, they can die from stress or heat stroke. To provide heat at night use a ceramic heat emmiter or a red bulb if it gets too low.

3)Yes, they are quite tame after a few handling sessions. IMHO they are a bit friendlyer than Gargoyles.

4) Yes, silkies are worth a try. If they eat them great! But if not, crickets are what you'll have to go with. Some will eat them, some wont.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CherryXD

CherryXD Embryo

Very awsome. Yea the uv light i used wasn't very strong. Thanks :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

No problem!

Doh! I forgot to say! Welcome to the Forum Chari!