Help with Terrarium

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Razius, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Razius

Razius Embryo

Well, I am new here and I have my self a mountain horn dragon I recently bought. I was looking at his terrarium recently and after doing a little more research after I bought him I realized his water dish was to small and he has nothing to really climb on. Not wanting to be irresponsible to him I was going to basically convert part of his tank into well a big pool. Currently he is in a 40 gallon tank, I was considering taking Plexiglas and fitting it into part of it. Sealing it with aquarium sealant and fill that with water. But I was also wondering if fake plants would have any real effect for him, I know he needs something to climb on but the only thing he has right now is some drift wood they sold at the store and lizard hammock. Before anyone asks his water is moving, I am using a bubbler to keep it moving but its only a temporary solution for me. I was hoping someone could give me some ideas to improve on it, I would love to put a waterfall in there for his and mine sake. (That bubbler gets really annoying at night when I am trying to sleep)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Can you get any pics up? :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Razius

Razius Embryo

I will soon as I can, but saddly my camera is loaned out to my sister right now.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I didn't know much about MHDs but just from reading up on them real quick it looks like they do need a pretty substantial tank... Actually in the vertical orientation... Is there any way you could put the 40gal breeder on it's side? IF not I'm sure you could make it work as is, just a thought :)

This looks like this tank seems to be a pretty neat little tank - for the set-up anyway, not necessarily the size: http://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/12/35/05/91/hpim2312.jpg

As to your question about putting in a piece of plexi and silicone it in... that would work but make sure to get one of the higher quality pieces (try to get a small piece of Lexan, not just plexi) so it doesn't bend and break because of the force from the water on one side of it... Also make sure you silicone both sides so water or dirt cannot get between the glass and the plexi... it just keeps it looking cleaner and gives it more support :)

Also fake plants are fine :) They make fake jungle vine which is very neat too because you can bend it to how you like it then suction cup it up.

Hope that helps a little!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Razius

Razius Embryo

That helps allot, I went to the pet store today and bought the silicone, some fake tree vine thingys and a half log for his tank. It really improved the look quiet a bit. I am going to buy the glasss here soon as I go to the hardware store, but I did pick him up a waterfall filter thing for it when it is done.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Razius

Razius Embryo

Got a picture finaly, meet Lord Nagafan and Lady Vox. its a work in progress, but you get a idea of whats going on in there... Will post more when I start working on adding their water area.

SANY0320.JPG

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

to be honest get yourself as big a tank as possible if you want to go with the glass route, but more likely it will be more cost efficient and beneficial to build your own enclosure for him. a 40g doesn't offer enough vertical space these lizards enjoy. what is his current STL (snout tail length)?

13. Razius

Razius Embryo

Yeah but in till I have the time or money to really put into it this was the best idea I had, still tho. They seem to be doing ok, I m sure they wish to be higher but sadly I can't do it right now for them.

14. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

Arboreal reptiles just want to climb and MHDs especially do. Building a large screenhouse can be done on a budget. I just bought another MHD so I'm willing to share my plans with you. A proper enclosure with all the amenities can be built for under 100 dollars and the construction process is fairly simple if you get your wood precut at some place like home depot then its really all just assembly which should take only about an hour with minimal tools(power drill etc). Most experienced MHD keeper recommend a minimum of 4' of height. you can build a screenhouse around a small housetree like a ficus and that provide them with plenty to climb on.

I'll be working on my plans when I get out of work so I'll make sure I post them here for you.