help! My bearded isn't opening his eyes this morning

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by mklein, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryka

ryka Member

I can understand that you dont want to spend lots of vet bills on your beardie. But it seems that you dont realy like him/her in the first place... And yes we are a high life form than beardies are and thats is why we must care for them and I sorry but this cost money. It sounds to me like you did not do any research before you got your beardie. And as for affection from animals (that includes reptiles) they know when they are loved and when they are not. If you want love and affection from you beardie you have to give love and affection to it.
    Amanda

p.s. If you love dogs so much get one and let someone who will properly care for a beardie (that includes spending money on it and doing research ) take it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ryka

ryka Member

I sorry I posted this before I knew there was more than one page. You have done research and since you came here you have to care. So once again sorry...
    Amanda

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mklein

mklein New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mklein

mklein New Member

Get off your high horse...$300 isn't enough??...if bills came to $2K I should just do it?...no thanks...I'd rather donate this kind of money to a food bank or orphanage...and I'm very comfortable with my values thank you.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mklein

mklein New Member

You are fortunate enough to live in a free/progressive country...I would expect less cost up "north". I will look into vet giving enema...thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mklein

mklein New Member

Thanks for your "retraction" and keeping it mature...

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

It's unfortunate that someone has to think this place is so unfriendly, when we usually have a reputation for being one of the friendlier reptile forums on the internet. This thread has been a poor example of the helpful and understanding reputation we have gotten. I'm actually embarrassed right now by the responses I've seen, especially after Mike has just spent $300 at the vet to help the little dragon.

13. Joy

Joy New Member

I agree with Kephy, it's a shame people kept jumping all over mklein when it became obvious that he did care about this animal and took it to the vet. I also agree with mklein that if it was going to cost $500 or more to treat a fragile baby dragon that I would probably have to have it euthanized also as I have similar priorities. Maybe it's our maturity. Don't take me wrong please if you really knew me you would know how hard that decision would be for me. I love all animals and hate to lose any of my pets but when it comes to spending a fortune on one of them that is so fragile and the treatment would be so stressful for I would probably have to cry my eyes out and have it put down.

14. mklein

mklein New Member

may have good news!

Looks like I may have some good news to post later this evening...will wait till I pick up Sparky from vet before I post...and probably take a valium too before heading into the dungeon...I mean forums.

Doesn't appear to be sand related issues.

15. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Ya folks, let's get off the value system wagon and concentrate on HELPING get mklein's beardie get well! Frankly he's doing as much as anyone can ask!!!
    mklein, now that he's stayed overnight at the vet's how's he looking?? Despite some of the comments flying around, we're all rooting for you and your little guy!!

and unfortunately, Joy is right in saying that baby beardies are very delicate and fragile...you're doing your best, ,mklein, and you've got my support no matter what decision you make.

16. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Re: may have good news!

sounds very optimistic!!! :)
    I'll be waiting for your post!

dungeon? uh,oh, I thought we have yet to roll out the rack and the branding iron! :D
    j/k. j/k - gotta lighten this up a bit!! :D :D

17. Itsdan2345

Itsdan2345 Member

i wasnt trying to offend you mklein, i never meant to and if i did i am truly sorry, i read the posts but must have mis-understood them, i am deeply sorry and as i said earlier i and probably the rest of the forum DO NOT want you to leave as you as much as anyone else is a VALUED member of these forums, we could learn alot from you, i think you WOULD be a good beardie owner but just not at this moment in time (because of funds .etc) but if you love your beardie, which you probably do i think you will do whats best for him, even if that does mean letting him go to another owner,
    sorry again
    Dan

18. Itsdan2345

Itsdan2345 Member

and by the way i really hope your beardie is/will be OK.
    Dan

19. mklein

mklein New Member

Whah? Because I only spend $300 and want to "cap" my expenses I'm not a good pet owner? C'mon man...

My $40 BD has approximately $1K in cages and other equipment...I'll bet 10-1 he has a larger cage than most BD owners in this forum (4' long). I have 30+ books on herps in my library (20K+ books overall)...how many books on herps do others have in their collection? Not as many I would suspect. I take very good care of my pets...thanks.

Most people will take offense when you attack their integrity and make sweeping/blanket statements. I am 40 years old and have done a lot of living...plenty of time to come up with strong morals/values and a sense of what is right and wrong...more so than any teenager (not referring to you specifically here).

20. Itsdan2345

Itsdan2345 Member

i DIDNT mean it in that way i meant that i know you WILL take care of him, but with all of the probs your saying your having with money if he gets very ill and you have to spend $1K+ your probably going to say "he isnt worth the trouble" (no offence meant there) and that is understandable in a way because if you have other things to take care of such as children (if any), and other priorities, maybe you might not be able to take care of him as much as you would if you didnt have those other things to take care of.
    Dan
    P.S please dont just snap at me like that, i was TRYING to be nice.

21. mklein

mklein New Member

Fine, fine...

But you are implying that if people won't spend "whatever it takes" to save their BD...they aren't good owners...this is a patently bad statement to make.

There is obviously a cut-off for everybody....$300, $800, $2K, $5K??? Not everybody is in agreement on this and to say somebody is a bad owner because they balk/hesitate at 1/2 grand for newborn with pre-existing condition...is a grand leap.

22. herpfreak

herpfreak New Member

you just said you werent will ing to spend money i read all the posts so im sorry you interpreted it wrong

23. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Alrighty lets just all back off now. I know I"m not a mod here but darn guys lets stop this.
    We are still anxiously awaiting the results from the Vet, hoping everything will be ok.

Everything else has been fought over, insulted at and spit on. Lets just STOP. I'm not targeting anyone.

The point is - he took the beardie to the vet. He has priorities and obviously the health of his beardie IS important (or he wouldn't have taken him to a vet). Money priorities are different. Some people don't know that. Being a single person myself on a limited income I know the feeling of this and would have to draw the line somewhere myself, no matter how much I would hate it.

So please, lets just try to understand eachother instead of bite eachother's heels. Stop the darn flames already.

24. mklein

mklein New Member

Please point me to post where I said I won't spend any money.

I stated I had reservations about spending large sums of money...

Moderator...please close this thread. I don't have the patience in this lifetime to deal with constant crap from people who don't read the posts and think they are "holier than thou". Yeah I'm sorry I keep responding to misguided posts...but it's tough to not defend yourself...

Kephy I will respond to you privately regarding ultimate diagnosis of Sparky's problems and you can do with it what you like.

I'll be sticking to book I quoted earlier and good FAQs on forums...but staying the he11 away from the chat forums. Not enough 'mature' posters...and this doesn't refer to one's age.[/b]

25. Wildcat36

Wildcat36 New Member

why cant everyone just be nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.