Help me decide between Uro and Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by FrankB1, Nov 26, 2008.

1. FrankB1

FrankB1 Embryo

Trying to decide between a Uro Mali and a Bearded Dragon. I had a Beardie years ago, great pet.

How are the Uro's with handling etc.?

For those who have or have had both, your opinions/advice will be appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

I own both - and love both...they are both fun creatures to own.

Beardies tend to be more mellow, hands on pets. They are also slightly easier to care for - their diet is simpler, basking temps are a bit lower etc.

Uros are great - they are extremely active and fun to watch, i could spend hours watching mine dart around his cage like a crazy man. There care is a little more advanced - with some more specific care needs than a beardie. They also need larger cages generally when they are full grown. They dont get bigger than beardies (well,Malis dont) but they are EXTREMELY active and need space to roam. It takes them several (up to 5) years to become full grown, they can be housed comfortably in a 40breeder for the first couple years. They generally arent as "hands on" as beardies - at least not the Malis (I believe Ornates are the mellowist). I never handle my Uro as it stresses him out, but i still interact with him via feeding, and i LOVE watching him.

If this is your first lizard in awhile, i would probably go with a beardie. I owned beardies for years before i got my Mali and it really helps to have that foundation to build from. However, Uros arent that hard - you just have to do the right research and mnake sure you adhere to their specific care needs - so if you are willing to commit, go for it! If your deciding factor is a pet that you can definately handle, i would go with a beardie :)

www.deerfernfarms.com - best Uro info ont he net :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FrankB1

FrankB1 Embryo

Thanks, I'm looking for more hands on right now so I will get another dragon in nice orange/red hypo color morph. When I had one over 12 yrs ago, normal color was the only thing available.