GTP

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by bodom85, Apr 9, 2007.

1. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

Ok where the gtp comes from humidity is really high often reaching above 90%. But the humidity does not have to be insact just around 80 and then aloud to dry out. The drying out period reduces the risk of scale rot. Note that humidity should be monitored and that stgnant water in the cage is a big no no.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Most folks (from what i read) mist heavily at night to get the humidity up, then ;let it dry out overnight, then mist in the am and let it dry out during the day. But then again, it depends on your setup and how well it holds humidity.

As WTG says, you need those drying out periods to stop scale rot, RIs, and all sorts of **** from growing in the cage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Oh man, I wanted to grow my own penisilion on the side. Oh well. Ill get a pic of my set up tomarrow. I got my thermostate today and am getting stuff dialed in. temps from 77-88. trying to bring up the low end a bit.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Ok guys. I got the little thing today at about 10am. He arrived live and well. He is a little cutie. Sorong Green Tree Python. Here are some pics. I have to revamp his set up, the heat light didnt work out and was putting off fumes (found that out before he went in). So at lunch I will have to make a quick run to the petstore and grab a UTH. i might even switch from rubbermade to sterilite tonight. He is getting his heat from being near a space heater, its working well as a temp fix. Ill probably end up going to lunch early to get him set up. What fun would life be without unexpected complications? lol. here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

He is looking absoloutely great! Cant emphasize my congrats enough! :(

Just watch the humidity and heating mate and youll be fine!

Keep us updated on his feeding etc, and again a really really nice snake.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Oh i am monitoring that closely until i decide they are stable. here are some more pics i took a few minutes ago. i couldnt help myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Lacey87

Lacey87 New Member

Aww, he is so tiny! I can't wait to see him!

13. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

Shame america is so far away from scotland or i would be making a journey up to k,nap him lol He is really nice and i bet your really happy with him! If one like that becomes available to me i might take it :(

14. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Beautiful little critter there!! Nice purchase!

A suggestion for the future...it may be easier and safer if you mounted your horizontal perches on the stick-on curtain-rail ends (know what I'm talking about?) than going through the plastic. Also a lot easier to remove snake and perch when it's time to clean.

15. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Yes I know what you mean. I actually had to get a new container with a new rods today. Rubbermade doesnt handle heat well at all. I was attempting to dial in the heat and humidity and this morning the lid was melted. i cut the melting away and covered it with mesh. That didnt work well with the light so i had to use a UTH that i had to go at lunch and get. My lesson today was "no rubbermade only sterilite". I actually got a smaller perch and a bigger bit so that it will slide easy in and out with the snake on if need be. I just have it fixed on the outside with tape. The new setup works well. He seems to like the thermometer too much though as he took to perching on it....

16. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

Im using a medium faunarium for my little guy right now , It dries out prety quickly but that suits as i prefer lots of fresh water rather than it sitting damp for long periods. Hes got a little bushy plant all tangled up up the top that he sits in as well as his perch that runs the whole length of the cage. And a heat mat fixed externally to the back of the enclosure, Ive got a two big exo terras all set up but im too wary of putting him in it in case he freaks out with it bein so big!