For those who Think walnut Substrate is Unsafe *Warning Graphic Photos!*

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Justin Alex Bunts, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Justin Alex Bunts

Justin Alex Bunts New Member

Stop listening to what other people say. It's safe, clean, and efficient. I have owned thousands of snakes over the years and I have always used crushed walnut bedding.

Concerned about bugs? Moths? etc?

Freeze the bag you bought from the petstore before you put in into your enclosure to prevent this. As long as your enclosure is in a humid/arid environment, this substrate is perfect. Not to mention it's so much easier than a lot of other substrates because you can just scoop the poop/urine out with a spoon to prevent your reptile from catching diseases. This is my Python:

[​IMG]

I have had this snake for a while, and he is perfect. Eats on time, moves around a lot, very friendly, no bugs, etc.... so if you are questioning whether or not to use I suggest it.

KEEP IN MIND. Snakes and lizards are different, obviously. Some lizards can handle swallowing the substrate, depending on the size. If it's a LARGE gecko, he will be fine.

Thanks.

-Justin Bunts 15+ years experience

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I guess photo evidence is what you desire, here ya go:

"The angular lumps in the gut wall in the second photo are caused by a walnut-shell buildup. The chips
    are small enough to be swallowed, but not large enough to pass out to the cloaca is more than a couple are swallowed; exactly the wrong size for a beardie..." - link

[​IMG]

Safe eh? I believe a beardie qualifies as larger than a large gecko...

And FYI - freezing will not always kill eggs and larval insects, in addition to many parasitic organisms (like mites and microbes). It simply forces them into a dormant state that they can re-awaken from when temperatures begin to warm up again. The only way to actually erradicate anything is to heat it substaintially, microwave it, boil it, or use a diluted chlorhexidine solution (only for decor).

Justin - I'm not trying to bash you nor have I ever tried. You need to learn to take critism and stop being so arrogant. I've shared my experiences AND provided facts to backup anything I have said. Quite frankly, no one cares if you have 15+ years of reptile experience, no one cares if I have 20+ years, or if that guy over there has 50 years. What we care about is what is best for the animals we love as pets in captivity. I'm not saying that I am always right, or that you are always wrong, but facts have shown that these products are dangerous to use...why risk it?

Shanna66, lestat, Eme Demiri and 6 others like this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Enharmonic

Enharmonic New Member

lol.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. leon_kuyo

leon_kuyo New Member

amen jeff

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Crushed walnut bedding may be preferable for some animals but in my experience it has never been a proper substrate for any gecko or lizard commonly found in the herp industry. Each and every reptile has different requirements and one bedding cannot be used for all. For example eco earth is fantastic for rhacs but I would never use it for a leo - it holds too much moisture. Or vise versa, the best substrate (IMO) to use for leos is tile, but I would never put tile at the bottom of any arboreal gecko's tank.