food wise

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mohik4n22, Dec 18, 2004.

1. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

bearing in mind im in the uk... i see a lot of mention to dandelion greens. are these the same damned yellow flowered weeds that turn ito fluff balls that are in my garden??
    and if so can i use them for food too?
    generally my girl eats sweet potato, kale ,just normal green cabbage satsumas bananas romaine lettuce, so im trying to find something shell eat in teh supermarkets or local shops she will eat too as im sure her diet must be boring for her? oh she dont like brocolli lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dan420

dan420 Member

Yes, they are. But i would be wary of doing that because you cannot be sure of fertalizers, pesticides, or what animal may have "left their mark" on it. Also, romaine and cabbage are not good staples, romaine is mostly water, and cabbage can prevent calcium absorbtion.
    Try some collard greens, mustard greens, you may be able to find some dandelion greens in the store.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

yeah i would NOT pick them from your yard - even if you do NOT use fertilizers. the roots of these things can be meters long (thus reaching into flower beds, neighbor's yards, etc where poison/pesticites are). dandelion greens are very nutritious for them, but if you can get turnip greens, kale, collard greens, and/or mustard greens you don't need to worry about getting ahold of dandelion greens. the others i just mentioned are every bit as nutritious.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

collard greens?? mustard greens?? ok in my house we dont eat "green (sunday) veg" not even carrots. so these to me are a mystery. although her kale cabbage she eats eventually but only small amounts.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Just offer her any type of large, leafy green (except lettuces and spinach). You don't want to feed her cabbage or lettuce. My trick for getting them to eat properly is to hold back the sweets. Get some greens and offer only those to her. Hold back on the fruit and sweet potatoes for a week. She'll come around. Always offer more greens than anything else. If you can't find dandelion greens by the bunch in the produce section, look for the bagged salad kits that come pre-cleaned. Some have dandelion greens in them. You can pull out the dandelion to mix with her other greens and offer the other lettuces sparingly.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

ok ty :D much appreciated

12. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

13. biochic

boiled eggs are ok...but...big BUT...they should only be offered maybe once a month, broken up, as a treat and not the whole egg. They are too high in protein to give very often, and like most "junk" food, some lizards will start to eat them preferentially and ignore other foods and then you've got a bad habit on your hands. I forgot to mention that when I linked you to that site that they mentioned eggs. Some of the enrichment ideas are good for the animals they listed, but they have to be modified for individual species. Sorry.

14. mohik4n22

mohik4n22 New Member

ok np thx for the info means i can spread her diet by one more maybe every other month :D how about the tops of carrots the greens?? not sur eon those either

15. biochic

We've offered those before. Their kind of mostly stems, so that can be annoying, but they're fine to offer and most igs seem to like them.