First crested gecko questions

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by RLHam3, Dec 10, 2009.

1. RLHam3

RLHam3 Embryo

Hey, so I just got my first crested gecko two days ago from a breeder at an exotic bird and reptile convention. I have a tiger salamander and a lot of experience with many different species of fish, but this little guy will be my first reptile. He is 4.9 grams and about 3.5 inches including the tail. The problem is that it was kind of an impulse buy and I don't really know anything about this species. So right now I have him in a little 2 or 3 gallon aquarium with a glass top. I'm using paper towels as substrate for now but I'm planning to change that when I upgrade the tank size. I also have a couple of fake vines hanging from the ceiling. I feed it the same food in the same way that the breeder fed it. (Repashy superfoods, the powder)

So some questions that I've come up with so far are:

Sometimes he has trouble climbing the glass and I feel like his feet have lost their stickiness?
    How many spritzs from the water squirter are we looking at to getting to the right humidity level?
    I havn't seen him eat yet but I hear thats normal as long as I find poop, but I havn't found any of that yet either?
    I also put two live meal worms in there but he didn't show any interest?
    How often should I handle him?
    What's a good natural looking substrate?
    what are some good ways to raise the temperature a few degrees in such a small tank?
    Will he/she eventually be able to recognize me?"

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

Sometimes he has trouble climbing the glass and I feel like his feet have lost their stickiness? he may have stuck shed on his toe pads, raise the humidity and/or give him a 15-30min soak in a plastic container, use very shallow water

How many spritzs from the water squirter are we looking at to getting to the right humidity level? thats something you need to figure out yourself

I havn't seen him eat yet but I hear thats normal as long as I find poop, but I havn't found any of that yet either? reptiles soemtimes dont eat for a week or 2 when they go to a new home

I also put two live meal worms in there but he didn't show any interest? thy dont eat mealworms. http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/index.p...category_id=165 this website is your friend for getting their food

How often should I handle him? well thats up to you and your gecko

What's a good natural looking substrate? eco earth

what are some good ways to raise the temperature a few degrees in such a small tank? you only want him to be at room temp. plus he needs to be in at least a 10gal right now, when he is an adult you will need at least a 20gal sized tank thats tall. these guys need height instead of length

Will he/she eventually be able to recognize me? yup. most reptiles will learn to recognize who brings the food

make sure your temps dont get to 85F or higher

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RLHam3

RLHam3 Embryo

I keep my thermostat at around 69-72, is that bad? I had a pretty crappy in the tank thermometer, but it's for aquriums, not terrariums, and it says that is stays right aroun 69-70, if i don't shine the desk lamp on the aquarium. Is that ok?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Metric

Metric New Member

You should probably look up some care sheets since your purchase was so impulsive.

Things you need to do ASAP:

- get repashy crested gecko diet OR crickets that you will need to gutload very well/use a supplement powder on.

- Get a bigger habitat, preferably something 10-20g Height is key

- Purchase a digital (analog ones can be inaccurate) thermostat and hygrometer to make sure your humidity and temps are accurate.

- Mist with conditioned water or water that has been out for at least 24hours. Water from the tap has too much chlorine in it.

Good luck!!