Feeeding Anoles in sync. with Tree Frogs???

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Mescaline, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

My terrerium now houses' two Green Tree Frogs, a Bahama Anole, and a Green Anole. I need to know some pretty basic things about feeding the Anoles in synchronization with my Green Tree Frogs like...

How many crickets should I feed them?,
    How often should I feed them?,
    and What size of crickets should I feed them?

Thanks,
    Mescaline

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

You should get the tree frogs out of there. If they are the big green tree frogs, once big enough they will try to eat your green anole. Also the bahama anoles get pretty big and might try to eat a frog or the other anole. It is best for the animals to never mix species. They could carry parasites that can easily transfer to other species. This could cause huge problems for you down the road. Also, the frogs could be stressed out from the anoles or vise versa. Then they might not eat at all. But if you're going to keep them together, I would put like 15-20 crickets in there and see how many get eaten. I would also get a ceramic bowl and put like 10-15 mealworms in there and just leave it so that there is food in there all the time. I would be very carefull with you tempuratures. Make sure that the species care info for temps is around the same. They both need high humidity. So just watch out.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

I thought they may stress eachother out but they don't seem to be. I guess it is because they are in a 50 gallon tank. There is a pile of rock's that the Anole hide in that the Tree Frogs seldom visit, and the Anoles are jumping around all day while the Tree Frogs are asleep somewhere. So they barley encounter eachother.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

it doesn't matter whether they "seem to be" or not - they *are*. do not mix species. 99% of the time it is a bad idea. all of the species you have are known for eating anything that moves and i wouldn't be surprised if one of them eats another one some time in the near future. also, disease runs rampant in mixed-species tanks.

they encounter each other all the time. i can guarantee you that - especially at night when the tree frogs are awake.

you really need to get each species it's own habitat. if you want to keep using the 50 gallon, that would be okay - just put some plexiglass or screening in there to seperate the species.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jodi09

jodi09 New Member

I have a Tree Frog and two Anole Lizards (different tanks) and my Anoles will eat 2-3 good size crickets, but you should watch how many they eat and take out the crickets that are left over because the crickets can start to eat at your Anoles if they become hungry enough.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

actually, that's pretty much an old wive's tale. crickets can only eat other animals if the other animals are dead (or practically dead).