Feeding? Too much?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by PS-RagE, Jul 26, 2004.

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

How much is too much? Our rapidly growing dragon (this post) eats like a cow! No matter how much I give him, he will chow it all down and be ready for snacks in the evening!

Normally I feed him a "mulch" of alfalpha (sp?), collards, carrots, butternut squash, green beans and snow peas. Below, I've got a pic of him eating. The mulch had run out and all he got this day was collards and carrots. But he will eat a bowl of food this size every day! Is there a limit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CybeR

CybeR Embryo

This scares me. My iguana is maybe a little bit smaller than yours and but he barely eats anything every day. What are the leafy looking greens that i see him eating and where could i get some? I feed him a chopped up blend of yellow squash, carrots, and alfalfa everyday but he BARELY eats any of it. Im worried.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i feed mine until he wont eat anymore and i feed him once in the morning and once at night. and btw it looks like a portion of his lower jaw is missing which leads me to believe that he has or had MBD. have you taken him to a vet recently?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

Those are chopped up collard greens. I can get them year round at the grocery store.

He is not a pet store juvenile though. We've had him since he was the size of a salamander. Dizzy didn't eat too well when he was little either. He would pick and chose what he wanted to eat (green beans mostly). Almost killed him. I now grind his food to a mulch so he is forced to eat a variety. Like I said, in that pic, I was out of mulch so he got what was in the fridge (collards and carrots)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

Yes, as I was saying in this post he had a bad bout of MBD when he was little and thus the "nose". Eating is certainly not a problem these days :lol: I just don't want to overfeed him and have a unhealthy fat dragon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry about that i didn't read that post until after i posted. but other than that keep up with how you are feeding him now he looks great

12. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, kale, mango, papaya, berries of all kinds, bananas, peas, and pears are the best things you can feed your iguana and it is almost impossible to over-feed them. give them all they want unless they appear fat instead of muscular (which rarely happens).

13. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

Well, I hate to second-guess you others but, are you absolutely sure about "give him all he can eat"? This guy eats like there will never be another meal. I'm now feeding him twice a day and he will consume that bowl to the bottom every time and still be ready for treats later (i.e. fruits). I keep using the "Tweety-Bird" phrase "oooh - you are a glutton Mr Dwagon". He is such a freindly little (well, bigger now) guy, I like to keep him happy, but I once almost killed my dog with kindness. I don't want to repeat that trend

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yeah i stick with feeding him as much as he wants...the more active he is then the more energy he will burn. as hummingbird said it is almost impossible to over feed a green iguana.

15. lturbott

lturbott Member

You have a very nice iguana there! We have 2 here, Squirt, which eats like a bird. Believe me when I say that. Now, Serafin on the other hand eats A LOT!! She is considerably bigger and her appetite proves that. We have noticed that Squirt is getting more active and eating more, but still not much. I am sure as he/she grows she will eat more and more.

16. Hummingbird

ps-rage: you are wise to make sure you can feed your pet all they want. giving an animal all it wants is only safe for a very few species. iguanas are one of them. you can over-feed *any* animal, but it's REALLY hard to do so with iggies. every healthy iguana i've ever known eats like a pig and i have *never* seen an over-weight ig.

also, your ig is *adorable*!

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

thats a good thing about iguanas is how hard it is to overfeed them, but my savannah monitor.....that is a whole nother story-it is extremely easy to overfeed them.

18. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

This always makes me laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He'll eat the whole bowl upside down like that :D

19. Hummingbird

lol! aren't they just the cutest?

20. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

Well, I dunno about "cute" - we usually call him handsome. Certainly is the most interesting critter I've owned. He is normally very tolerant of us humans and some days down-right freindly (i.e. jump up on the couch that someone is sitting on for some attention). He's never hissed, bitten or whipped at me. He likes to be petted and scratched and will point the itchy parts at you. I can only assume that is because he never stops shedding. By the time the last bit has fallen from his head and toes, his back is starting again! Gotta feeling this one is going to grow pretty large!

21. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

he looks like he is a herbivorious (not sure on the spelling) snake lol