Feeding baby corns update - Aug 31st. and Sept 1st...

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Brtore, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Hello, and thank you for all the support... this is where we stand..

I had five problem eaters.

One is now eating like a pig... only pinkies no frogs...he has eaten about 5 times now. ( so he's ready to go to a good home)

Then I got three of the four to eat frogs... and I am hoping I can switch them to pinkies fairly easy without any problems I have now been advised to look out for...:D

Surprise of all surprises, my one hold out, who has not eaten yet..since it was hatched June 20th, decided to eat a pinkie....yahoooooo...

So I quess that is another reason I love my corns...they are definately not boring.

If you are interested in what happens with the frog eaters, let me know...

I post the updates at the bottom, and change the date on this post, to let you know of any changes :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Markey

Markey New Member

How exciting!!!!! I'm so happy that things are working out for you and your little ones. I definitely would love updates!!!!! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Sounds like everything's coming along! Congrats!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Thanks for the updates and keep us posted on how things go!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Well it's five days since my hold out ate, and it's been since August 4th and 6th since my other three ate. I tried all five on pinkies last night till this morning, and nothing! Will keep trying.....

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Well newest update... Holdout ate thawed pinky on Aug 9th, the other three are as I write this sitting in containers with live pinkies... I tried thawed last night scented with frog.. I didn't kill the frog, I just borrowed the frog from the pond in the backyard, he's back now. I am trying a new stragedy...baby corns and live pinky in small glass, nowhere for either of them to hide... let's hope that works?

12. Markey

Markey New Member

Good luck. Keep us posted....

13. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Baby Mariah, my hold out who ate a pinky on Aug 9th, shed yesterday, so I decided to try one of the live pinkies with her, to see if I could get her to eat again..I know....but, I tried a thawed pinky and it just went bad. ( I am now questioning the quality of the last batch of pinkies purchased) I thaw them and they seem to fall apart?

Anyway- she wasted little time eating it... so she's off to a good start, I'm really glad..she has the nicest markings on her...and I'm hoping I can trade some of my little darlings for different colour babies...

The other three have shed once again, and are sitting with live pinkies in containers ---- :D nothing yet! ... l8tr

14. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Newest update... Well, I guess the best way is to tell you Ikeep track of my little darling by number, I had sort of named them, but realized I was getting attached..
    so here is were we stand...

# 1,2 & 4 were the ones who ate frogs but not pinkies, #3 was my holdout, but finally has eaten twice now...yahoo! # 5 is my big pig...

August 22, babies 3 & 5 ate pinkies which I expected.. baby # 2 shocked me... the live pinky had died, and my son said " mom, I think the pinky just died, but, that's ok! because the baby is eating it...."

so I have three down, and two to go.... I am now pretty encourage that I will get the two remaining, eating very soon..(fingers crossed)

I'm just glad that the one baby switched from frog to pinky fairly quickly.. well a few weeks anyway...

will keep you posted...

15. Markey

Markey New Member

Great news!!!! I'm sure the other stubborn ones will come around as well. There is only so much you can do to make them eat.

16. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Well !! I was really hoping for better news to pass along :cry: I still have two babies not eating... I'm going to try scenting again with frog? as it's the only thing they have ever eaten. They just look so skinny compared to the others... I won't give up! If that doesn't work? EH! I will try to force feed them... it's my last resort.

17. Brtore

Brtore New Member

Ok, Well lets hear it for patients... After I updated my last post, my husband was scenting two thawed pinkies with a poor frog we ran over on the golf course this afternoon.. he offered up his coffee cup to transport the little guy. So I guess his death was not in total vain, as the two non eating baby corns (1 & 4 ) had only ever eaten one frog each since their birth June 20th, You can imagine my concern.

Yahoo.... they both just inhaled the pinkies... My husband put the poor frog in the freezer in case we need him again....hopefully not.. but!! you never know..

Thanks for all your support!!!!!!!

18. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

That's awesome!!! Congrats!
    Us reptile keepers are a weird bunch.... frozen rodents and squished frogs in our freezers.

19. joey

joey New Member

Congrats!!!! What we do for are pets!!!

20. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

I just got my baby to eat. It had been a little over a month since his last meal. On my last attempt i thawed out the pinkie then placed him in really warm water to get him good and scented. i brained him and opened him up from the tail up to the top of his head. I placed him in the tub with my corn and 20 mins later he was gone. I'm soo happy. I can stop worrying now.

21. Markey

Markey New Member

How exciting! I'm so happy that your little ones are doing better. I absolutely love these updates! It's so nice to read about other people's experiences. You never know when YOUR (meaning my) snake could have feeding issues.
    Good luck with future feedings!!!!!!!
    Btw...dumb question, but how do you get your picture to post under your name??? I'm tired of seeing hatchling by my name.

22. ucaqt

ucaqt New Member

Click on 'My account' on the left side of your screen. Once there click on 'change my info' scroll down to your avatar and choose a picture.