Fat Crested Gecko!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by stina3246, Sep 9, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I was wonder how much a crested gecko is supposed to eat? I was TOLD that she should eat mostly babyfood everyday, and a few crickets a week.
    Willow is a 1 year old female. She will eat as many crickets as I feed her every day. She'a always hungry...she also laps up as much peach or apricot babyfood as I give her every day. (Usually a tablespoon full) She will literally attack the spoon or dish when I put it in. Crickets stand no chance with her.
    I'm delighted that she eats so well but can I over feed her. She looks great, her color is incredible (I'll post pictures) and her muscletone, her skin...everything looks incredible healthy to me.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GeckoQueen_57

GeckoQueen_57 Embryo

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If her wonderful appetite is the biggest problem you face, you are doing great. I have never heard nor seen a overweight Crestie, so feed away. Good luck and enjoy your healthy baby.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Indeed, Crested geckos arent like leos or fat tails who store the fat and will eat as much as they possiblt can. Cresties tend to eat their fill and thats it. However what you are saying is highly unusual, Spike (my crested gecko) only eats a max of about 1 tablespoon a day of babyfood and maybe 1 or possibly 2 crickets. He gets 1 tablespoon of fruit babyfood every day, 1 tablespoon of chicken babyfood once a week, some crested gecko diet here and there, and about 1 cricket a day to 1-3 every other day. He looks actually pretty fat but he is still just as agile in the vegetation or on the ground as he was when he was only 1 or 2 months old!
    Right now hes 18 months and I had the liberty of raising him as an egg. He has really bonded with me since then and isnt afraid to eat right off my hand outside of his cage.
    As for the feeding, don't overdue it. They relatively have a low chance of getting obese because of all the exercise they get and because they will only eat their fill. If your cresty starts moving slower, becoming less active, and is looking extremely plump and has fat pouches on her belly and legs than thats a good sign to take a bit off the menu.
    At one year of age she should have a relatively high metabolism and should be eating every day and should be very active. As long as none of the signs i meantioned above occurs, she should do just fine.