Do Halogen Desklamps Emit UV?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx, Sep 8, 2005.

1. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx New Member

Somebody told me that the common halogen desklamps let out U.V if you take out the pane of glass that filters it. Is this true? Please quikly Rply.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ravnos

Ravnos New Member

I'm sure some do, but seeing that they're not intended for that purpose, there is no documentation on their output ratings so you have no real idea of just how much UV is put out. Sticking with something specifically intended for reptiles is a much safer alternative to taking a chance with something you can't be sure of. Maybe someone with one of those UV meters can elaborate... but still, its going to vary by the particular bulb in it.

Rav

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

the Repti Sun Bulbs would be better... U know its gona give UV... and if u look at the packet u know what kinda of herp its for (e.g. 8.0 Dessert Tearrium)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

cool guyz, will do!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Reptikeeper5

Reptikeeper5 New Member

they mostly all do, but soem like mine have UV filter on the glass...
    Hope that answers your question!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

yeah, but can't u take off the U.V filter glass by undoing them 2 screws?

12. Reptikeeper5

Reptikeeper5 New Member

yep, just make sure that ur animal is not within 5 inches of the initial bulb. Also, the halogen bulb is VERY sensitive... DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB with your hands! Use a clean cloth. This is because the oils on your skin will super heat on the surface on the bulb, and as with any major temperature variation, the bulb will overheat and explode! The glass shards will in turn drop in your herps tank and can hurt it. I suggest using a cage lid of some sort with the light hovering about 2 inches above it and some non-melting, clear, non- UV filtering material over the bulb. If anything like a substrate or bug or even dust touches a halogen it will either burst into flames (the material) or blow up the bulb. At this point I suggets to just buy a regular florescent bulb at a harware store and an incandescent lamp. Though the single halogen it less cluttering, in the long run you should use the florescent and regular incandescent bulbs.
    Hope that answers your question!

13. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

i have this little Incandescent light somebody gave me, i don't know if your familiar with it.. It is like a tube but it's about 15cm long, and it's in a socket, with a little bracket, i have attached this to the inside of my Gecko enclosure, and do incandescent lights emit uv? or do u guys no any UV secrets? like cheap sources of it or anything like that? i have F#*&! all cash ( i'm 15 years old.) and i know there MUST be a cheaper source besides a $42.00 reptisun Tube or the sun itself. plz any info u have on a cheap source until i get some money, or even a permanent soutce. I heard those purple blacklight disco tubes let it off, is THIS true? thanx lol.

14. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Shop online. Even with shipping the bulb would probably be cheaper than what you can find in stores. Of course the cheapest source of UV light is outside, but that's not feasible for some herps in some places.

15. Reptikeeper5

Reptikeeper5 New Member

Don't buy the supposed "special" bulbs for heat and basking. Use a regular 40-80 watt incandescent for heat and light and if u want to have a special basking spot, get another incandescent bulb and just put it in a narrow fixture, which creates a tight beam.
    What kinda herps do u have?
    If u have a leo u need just the incandescent bulb, no halogen.
    If u have an iguana, u can use both incandescent and florescent fixtures.
    Hope that Helps!
    PM. me for any more questions!

16. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

no, i'm from australia, i have whites tree frogs, tree dragons, blue tongued skinks, childrens pythons and carpet pythons. I need a cheap source of UV to put with all my enclosures.

17. Reptikeeper5

Reptikeeper5 New Member

just use a florescent light and basic fixture...

18. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

Um no i dont think they do.

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

20. xxUnDeRcOvEr_GeCkOxx

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLO? Can i have evry1's attention plz! I just found QUALITY UVA AND UVB tubes For $10 Australian!!!
    there are two diff brands.
    1. Arcadia. 5.0 for lizards and 2.0 for snakes, go to arcadia.com, to find your nearest stocker, or u can order em online.
    2.Sylvania Reptistar, i don't no if u can get em there, but in oz their $10!!!!!! and they are gr8! this is gonna make any herp never have 2 say "i'll have 2 get some money 2 replace my dud UV globe" again! have a ball guyz, rock on!!!!!

21. cowtowncrazer

cowtowncrazer New Member

halogens are incadescent no they do not emit uv