Dark Tokay

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Frost_Wraith, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Ok, this is slightly infurating, but my tokay has taken up something he regulary does, and that is the crawls into his little log and stays there. I mean he STAYS. I honestly dont' think he moves from that spot! When he is fed he simply waits for prey to wonder into it and ambushes it. I don't know what to do honestly. Because no light gets under there and I KNOW thats not good. He has other places to hide in the terrarium. Behind some plants and a large piece of driftwood. They aren't as all conceling as the log. But they are hide spots and *some* light penetrates.

So I'm wondering. Should I remove this hide log? Or reposition it so it lets in some light? Or would that upset him too much?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

im not sure, but i have heard of people having a very hard tiem with them! i would say out it where there is light or take it out! but then again i dont know about there stress level! so sorry!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joe5555

joe5555 Member

tokays are nocturnal so light is not essential for them.. so i would say it its fine the way it is . but if you want to see him more then i take it out or reposition it for your viewing.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I'm fairly certain that all reptiles need *some* light reguardless of if they are nocturnal or not. And Smaug just proved this point. Naturally a couple of hours after I posted this, he is now out from the log and clinging to the glass closest to the light. Thank you for making me look like a jerk Smaug. :x

Smaug: Geeeeeeeeek

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joe5555

joe5555 Member

i meant uvb is not essential but a regular light should be on atleast 12hours a day to 14. to simulate day and night. uvb is always better for your herp though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reako45

reako45 Member

Smaug! Great name! How long have you had him? I've found w/ most of my geckos it takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to get comfortable in their tanks.

reako45

12. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

Nocturnal geckos use the light for warmth not really for it's uvb like someone said early it's not essential, but it won't hurt them either, however i have heard if you use calcium w/ d3 you shouldn't use uvb lighting and if you use uvb lighting then you should use pure calcium w/o d3, i don't know how valid this is but i don't use uvb either way. If you want to see him more then take it out he'll probably just find somewhere else to hide though, mine usually hide behind the plants in the corner but one of them hardly ever hides she's usually out in plain sight but doesn't really move that much until it's dark. What lighting do you use at night? is that your heat source?

13. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Vit D3 facilitates the absorption of Calcium. Sunlight (UVB) causes diurnal animals (even people) to make their own D3. The logic here is that nocturnal animals like geckos can't do this so we supplement. So, if the animal has the ability to make its own D3 with light, and u still give it supplements, it cld O.D. on it sinc Vitamin D3 builds up in the body.

my question is whether nocturnal geckos have the ability to make D3 if exposed to UVB. If they do, and u give it uvb, then u probably don't want to add more D3... I don't think the experts have come out with a conclusion... Very confusing!

I don't use uvb and my leo gets vit D3 supplement with the multi-vitamin dust I give once a week.

14. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Ok, here is a good Q. Have any of you accually heard your Tokays talk? I have quite a few in my tank and they are always talking(barking) when I turn the lights off. They sound like Freak Mutant Crickets, it's really cool. I am currently in search of an Albino Tokay for my collection, but I have heard there are only a handful in the country. Once I get a good number going I am going to put them in a sun room all to themselves.(Outside of all the plants and stuff. I have seen tokays get absolutly enormous when they are placed in greenhouses or sunrooms. They will eat anything that fits in their mouths. Moths, Spiders, Beetles, all that good stuff. But anyway, if you get the pleasure of hearing Tokays talk to each other record it... It is way cool, and you can play it back to get them going for friends.(As long as the lights are off)