Custom Rockwall Cage in the works

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by FrickFrack, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

Hey all

just wanted to share some pics from the process of building a custom rockwall cage that I have been working on this month..

hope you like and I welcome suggestions and tips

cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

it looks really neat but how do you clean it?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

I have sealed the whole thing with acrylic sealant...so i should be able to just wipe it all down with cleaner and a cloth

cheers
    '

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

thats cool i think id like to try this in my "soon to be" bp's cage. the only tips i have would be to add some color to make it look more realistic and maybe put little bits of moss on some of the overhangs

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

thanx beccasaur

I have bought a bunch of green foliage from the dollar store and will be putting it in as soon as the sealant has dried....I like the moss idea though for the overhangs....how do you think I would achieve that look the best? do they have fake moss???

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CHARLEENA

CHARLEENA Member

can you tell me what is the exact name of the acrylic sealant? i went to home depot and they don't know what im talking about, is that also a foam in a can that you used? i thought it expands under high heat, btw, nice work.

12. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

you might want to use real moss for the overhangs that you could wet and itd help keep your humidity up but i wouildnt glue it down then, that way you could change it out for new moss when you needed to. im guessing you could probably find fake moss wherever there are fake flowers sold, good luck! i want to see pics of it when its done!

13. igot_dragon

igot_dragon New Member

yeah i just made my own fake rock wall enclosure for my 7 month old beardie! she loves it... i will post a pic real soon... make sure that you also by a very good mite killing spray because i found that all the nooks and cranny looks very intising for mites to live and breed!

14. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

Hey Frick, it looks great. I like the idea of the moss to add some color. I used "sheet" moss and spagma (spelling??) moss for mine and just hot glued it. The "sheet" moss you can get just about anywhere, they use it with bonsia trees, and other types of plants for decoration. I think there is spanish moss as well that you could drap from the overhangs.
    Let me know if it works and put up some pics of the final results.

15. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

Thank you....for the sealant...If you go to the section that deals with tile flooring or just ceramic tiles in general...there is/should be "grout sealant"...if that doesnt work try asking for an acrylic based sealant used for sealing concrete patios and stairs for outside....hope you find it...The foam was just the foam in a can..I don't think it expands much after it has compltetly dries once and if so the grout and mortar mix (cement should hold it in place)

I will keep my eyes open for that moss...probably in craft stores....for now I have just put a bunch of fake greenery and vines in various locations...it is almost complete now and I will have updated pics of the process very soon...my wiofe and brother were sceptical when I first started putting the styrafoam in pace, But they are both loving it now

Thanx for the tip..I will look for some this weekend at the EXPO in Toronto

cheers

16. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

another great tip Nakedjellybean

cheers

17. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

no humidity in a BD's cage...beccasaur, thats just asking for a RI.

18. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

sorry i was thinkin this was in the bp section

19. CHARLEENA

CHARLEENA Member

do you mix the grout with the cement, and how mixture of each?

20. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

No I didn't mix the grout and cement...I just used both for different texture and colours...Either will do you fine

21. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

Well I have completed the rockwall all except for the outside covering to make it look like a nice peice of furiture...that will wait until we move into our house...

please offer any suggestions you may have for improvement as I would like to build more and better Vivs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

That looks AWESOME!! I have a couple of questions, 1. What thickness of OSB (chipboard) did you use? 2. Did you use glass or arcylic for the doors? and 3. How was the expo?
    I will post about the ex in the canadian forum.
    Once again, great job, it looks amazing.

23. FrickFrack

FrickFrack New Member

thanx naked...

1) - I used 1/4 inch particle board from work (comes on steel skids) and it was all framed in with 2/2's...

2) - I used glass doors on a plastic sliding track...I got the 1/4" thick glass cut at a local glass shop for 40 bucks and the track is from a hardware store...

3) - the expo was great...there was a really good turnout and most of the vendors were selling almost out...I was upset that there were NO baby beardies...only juvies from Capital Dragons looked really nice for colours anyway...the rest was adult normals that were older adults....There was more snakes and leo's than you could shake a stick at, which really don't appeal to me...There was some really nice Panther Chams..that were from I think it was called Arboreal Exotics (near the stage)
    I came home with 2 Crested Geckos which are turning out to be great fun and interesting fellas

[​IMG]

thanx for the comments
    cheers

24. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

the wall looks great! cute geckos too

25. Drakeyoshi

Drakeyoshi New Member

looks good but i'de be sceptical of the chemicals in all of that spray foam, and the sealer.