Custom Leopard Gecko Build

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by SLYM, Dec 1, 2008.

1. SLYM

SLYM Embryo

Hey All, new here, and just wanted to post my build pictures that I also have posted over on GF. I built this about a month ago for my leopard gecko, Calypso.

I made the entire bit from polystyrene foam, and also decided to redo the lighting I was using.

The tools used: Saw, Knives (Found bread knives to work well), Liquid nails adhesive and caulking gun, sandpaper, grout (sanded, premixed), grout/tile sealant, spray paint (other paint works, too), paintbrush, and lots of ground cover.
    [​IMG]

What I intended to put in the tank:

[​IMG]

The foam used (purchased at Lowes...it comes in sheets twice this size...I only used a half sheet for this whole project) It's 1/2" polystyrene.

[​IMG]

General Mockup:

[​IMG]

Almost finished mockup (just had to round some corners)

[​IMG]

After grouting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This paint is awesome. Automatic texture and color that I wanted. It's like 7 bucks a can. Different Colors

[​IMG]

After Paint:

[​IMG]

New lighting. LED lights. A little brighter. These are like 30 bucks at Lowes.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SLYM

SLYM Embryo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole project took a weekend, and maybe another 4-5 days of dry time. I love it though, especially since each piece is modular and can be removed to be cleaned, etc.

Here's the lucky lady!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, very nice job. And a very well put together construction thread :rolleyes:

Do you have a humid hide in one of them? I can't see from the photos.

I'm sure you have already researched it but it's a compulsion on here to mention that sand can cause impactions in leos so please makes sure the rest of your set up is perfect so as to reduce the risk. Removing the sand would obviously be detrimental to the look of the whole thing and others will tell you there is nothing wrong with it but just double check your temps (hot side 88-91F as a substrate temp, cool side 10F lower than hot), nutritional supplementation (separate bowl of pure calcium available at all times in addition to dusting feeders) etc and you will hopefully be okay... Just be aware that there is always a potential for impaction with any loose substrate.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SLYM

SLYM Embryo

Yeah, I have. It's actually walnut, but I've never seen her get any, she eats like a horse - and poops like one too.

The humid hide is in the upper right when viewing the cage from front. It's a cream cheese container that i slipped into some foam that was cut to fit. You can see the lid from the top view.

Everything else is great, floor and ambient temps, etc.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

I did wonder what the lid was all about :rolleyes:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kingkier

Kingkier New Member

I would really think twice about using walnut,on the bearded dragon forum there is a link to pictures of a disection where the beardie died from becoming impacted by walnut

12. sickend

sickend New Member

the walnut is fine, i have kept my beardies on it ffor 2 yrs now with out a single problem. i also did my geckos cages with it to and they are twice as active now i think they like the way it feels dunno but i have not had a problem personaly with crushed walnut shells

13. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

Walnut is actually dangerous. Just because your lizards seem fine and have had no problems yet, doesn't mean they won't. Alot of lizards will act fine till it is almost too late.

Walnut is hard to digest, could get in eyes, hard to clean so it houses more bacteria.
    Overall walnut isn't real great.
    If anything you should use washed playsand or pool filter sand.

14. sickend

sickend New Member

its just as likely not to happen as well. play sand and the other sand will also do the same to the digestive system. soo too each his own way to set up their cages. if you change out your bedding regularly it should be fine.

15. beefcake

beefcake Member

you can argue it all day everyday if you want, but you dont hear about herps dying from safe substrates... so why take the risk? just so the tank will look the way you want it to? i wonder how good the tank will look without an animal in it ? you will find out eventually using walnut or something similar.

16. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

As much as I agree with other posts, you did not post these pics for advice on your setup so I will not give it you.. all that that needs to be said has been. Your rockery thing looks very cool, still wanting to do something like this for my leo's tank... its hard to find a day or 2 to get to it. You also have a very nice looking gecko ;).