Crickets with wings?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by stina3246, Dec 24, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I purchased 200 crickets about 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden many of them have sprouted wings. I always buy crickets in bulk but this has never happened. I'm not talking about little tiny wings either. These are HUGE full sized wings however none of them have tried to fly. They don't seem to be older then any other batch I've had before. My bearded dragon doesn't like them...they seem "tough" There is even a pure white one with huge black eyes and very large wings. Could this be a queen?
    What's going on?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tigor9117

tigor9117 New Member

only thing i can realy think of is that they are grasshoppers.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I thought too but they look just like crickets...or at least they did until they sprouted wings. It's not just the big ones either, the smaller ones are doing it too!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ancie

Ancie New Member

Adult crickets do get wings however they still do not fly.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tmx

tmx New Member

Haha, I know this is late, but the white cricket is a freshley shed cricket. They are white when they just get there shed off. And a cricket with wings is a male cricket, the wings are what they chirp with. The ones without wings and a brown pin looking thing sticking out the back is a female cricket.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Yeah, I've always seen wings on our crickets, at least the bigger ones anyways.

12. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I've seen wings on very large crickets before but it seems like they ALL sprouted wings. Even the tiny ones!

13. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Male and female crickets have wings. All my large crickets have wings. But the females do have a sticker coming out of there butt. Just carefully tare one wing off each cricket before you give them to you lizard, then they cant make any noise.

14. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I've already released the crickets with wings. None of my reptiles seemed able to digest them.

15. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

Try feeding them to your cat. Mine loves them! I feed my cat the crix that are too big for my leo. I dont think you should let a perfectly good gutloaded cricket go to waste!

16. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Actually my Skunk likes them.....good idea, I hadn't thought of that!

17. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

my turtles will welcome anything my beardies don't eat