cricket/meal worm feeding

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by rezon, Aug 14, 2004.

1. rezon

rezon New Member

ok i was wonderin is it good 2 feed then these lil guys i see them be feed that at the pet stores

or should they just be once in a while treats?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. herpslave

herpslave Member

Well ive heard by a mod or something on here rare treats.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rezon

rezon New Member

ok so it wouldnt hurt to throw in a circket/meal worm or 2 from time to time. . . and whats up with the dusting whats that all about?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lturbott

lturbott Member

There is no need to feed iguanas crickets or mealworms, EVER. They are vegetarians and should be fed fresh salads and fruits. Dusting with vitamins and calcium with D3 is needed to prevent MDB and to generally keep them in good health. PLEASE do some massive research before you think about adopting. And as I said in the other post, adoption is the way to go.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yea im wit turbott dont give them any mealworms, crickets, or any animal proteins unless you want your ig to die painfully of its kidneys getting hard as a rock

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. rezon

rezon New Member

thanks 4 the innsight guys

12. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

do NOT feed iguanas crickets, mealworms, cat/dog food, or ANYTHING EXCEPT fresh produce! please!

please go read my iguana care sheet i posted in your other thread - it gives you all the dietary info you need; including the fact that you should *not* feed them protein!

13. lturbott

lturbott Member

Hummingbird, my husband was curious as to what a Children's Pythons is. Thanks !!

14. Hummingbird

hey there!

children's pythons are *great* snakes. they are name for the guy who first described them (his last name was 'children', believe it or not). many people make the mistake of thinking they're called 'children's pythons' because they are good for children. they wouldn't be a terrible choice for a kid's snake, BUT they can be testy and can refuse to eat for no reason (trust me). they are one of the smallest pythons, only growing to about 3 feet. they are often confused with the spotted python because of similar patterning, but the children's pythons are darker and their pattern fades as they age. they are originally from australia and are nocturnal and typically eat small mammals and birds and stuff at night. they hang out in trees as well as on the ground or in burrows. great little snake, but fairly expensive.

15. lturbott

lturbott Member

Thank you! I am not a big snake person myself but my husband has had an interest. When he first came from NZ the first thing we did was go to a local shop so he could "play" with a burmese python they had there. I thought...uh uh! The more research we did the more he realized that would NOT be a pet to have. "whew"
    This is him and Lola.

[​IMG]

16. Hummingbird

neato! so is he from new zealand or what? i'd LOVE to go there . . .

17. rezon

rezon New Member

i just went out today to barns and nobles and boaught iguanas 4 dummies so they have alot of good stuff in there

18. Hummingbird

i believe 'iguanas for dummies' *is* a good book - good for you for doing plenty of research first. *however* i would feel much better if you would just go read my caresheet that i took the time to type up. there's tons of info on diet, habitat, metabolic bone disorder, uv light, etc. if you're willing to read a whole book on iguanas, then you can take an hour and read what i've typed up, too.

19. rezon

rezon New Member

sounds far u can never read to much things where can i get it link me

20. Hummingbird

21. rezon

rezon New Member

oh yes i saved that in my favorites i learded alot from it i like the site thanks thats wha made me want them even more :D

22. lturbott

lturbott Member

Yes, he is. And they have no snakes or anything of that type there. So he was really interested in seeing some here! We are one day planning on going there because of course I have never been there either. Can't wait!