Crested gecko has retained shed

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by deydey, Dec 26, 2009.

1. deydey

deydey Member

my gecko has retained shed on her toes, this is the first time this has happened in my care and she has shedded a few times, she is s.a. Not sure what to do I heard damp cotton wool buds will help losen it up? I tried misting the enclosure a bit more to raise humdity. Is there anything else I can try?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teach920

teach920 New Member

Well, bumping up the humidity is the first start...and depending upon how "handable" your Crestie is, then you can certainly try what you suggested with the damp cotton balls or Q-tips.......(a lot of times, cresties won't sit still long enought though.....which is why some will suggest getting a smaller SHORT tupperware container (sandwich sized.).....then put some water in the bottom of it.......and either cover it with screen, or put plenty of holes in the lid or side.... and place the Crestie in there for a short bit.....if the container is too tall, they will climb and avoid the water.....if shallow, their feet will be in the water.......don't leave them in there too long obviously, and make sure the water is NOT too warm....room temp is good...you can also try putting some drops of Shed-away or something in the water...but generally the water alone will do the trick.)
    Hope this helps
    Connie