Cleaning Glass Tanks

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Calliope, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Calliope

Calliope New Member

What is the best way to srub down and clean a glass tank? Are there any cleaning chemicals that are a definet no no or is anything ok?

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dragondude

dragondude Embryo

That is a good question, Calliope! I don't know, but if it were me i'd just use water, and a non-toxic soap. Dont quote me on that though...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GeCkOBoI

GeCkOBoI Embryo

lol off topic but yay my brother had a fish tank with bout 7 fish in it and he cleaned it with a pre-soaped sponge lets just say in 30 minutes the fish died :cry:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

well first what are you using the tank for? snakes fish lizards what? for lizard use a 10%bleach 90% water solution. scrub the tank. rinse out GOOD removing all the smell of bleach then let it air dry.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

u can try 20% vinegar-water solution, but whatever u use, as Leos for Life says, RINSE THOROUGHLY and air dry - make sure there's absolutely no smell of cleaning solution left.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

If you dont want the smell of Vin. or bleach....try using flat coke......The acid in coke is real strong even though it is flat..... I know it sounds weird but it does work, and without using any harmful chemecals on your tank..........

12. Spot

OK, the coke thing is freaking me out. Now, everytime I drink coke, I'm going to be thinking bleach? vinegar? acid????!!! :shock:

13. Calliope

Calliope New Member

The tank is for a lizard. And thanks for everyone's advice. I'm not shocked that flat coke would be a good cleaner since one year as a science experiment when I was a kid I eroded a tooth with coke :(

14. jmadams

jmadams New Member

Coke also works to clean car battery terminals. I actually use a mix of ginger ale, and water to clean my tanks. Then I use distilled water to rinse out so I don't have any sure left or water spots.

15. Leos_For_Life_182

Leos_For_Life_182 Member

well they make stuff for tanks that they have at most petstores calle wipeout for tanks.

16. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

do NOT use bleach or any cleaning supplies on any animal's cage. warm water and a brillo pad are the best and don't poison your pets.

17. Spot

I don't think just warm water will kill bacteria/mold...

18. Hummingbird

no but Chlorhexidine (click here!) will. i forgot to mention that in my last post - chlorhexidine (novalsan) is the only chemical you should use to clean cages other than water.

19. herpslave

herpslave Member

20. Spot

I looked into chlorhex. From what I can figure, it does kill bacteria, mold, fungus, but does not kill mites and parasites. Am I right?

how about comercial terranium cleaners such as Wipe-Out, ESU terranium cleaner (I found these on sale at herpsupplies.com along with novalscan.

21. Spot

What kind of disinfectant do u use??

22. Hummingbird

to kill mites we use Reptile Relief. the only safe disinfectant is chlorhexidine.

23. Spot

OK, do u use reptile relief as well as chlorheidine for routine cleaning? how often do u recommend I do a thorough tank/furniture cleaning for a 20 gal 1 leo set up?

24. Hummingbird

i just use the reptile relief when i see mites and such. just spray it right on the mites. the chlorhex i use for regular cleaning, though. you must rinse it off with plain water afterwards, though. you could use tap water to wipe down a leo's tank every week or so and i'd take everything out and scrub it with chlorhex every couple months or so.

25. Hummingbird

welcome, langdon!

this is kind of off-topic, but i've heard coke can clean toilets, bathtubs, shower heads, and faucets! never tried it, though . . . :)