Can superworms bite the gecko?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by sepand, Apr 14, 2007.

1. sepand

sepand New Member

If, like some people say, superworms bite when they're being handled (I've never been bitten), then can't they also bite the insides of a gecko when they're being gulped down (especially if they go in head-first)? It's not like they die immediately...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Member

They can bite but leos usually crunch them up before they ingest them... In the wild leos have been documented to eat scorpions... You have nothing to worry about with super worms...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. blckSRT4

blckSRT4 New Member

At petsmart the worker said that superworms aren't any good since they are too big for geckos and that they can lead to impaction. I don't see any validity in her statement. Am I wrong or is she wrong?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Val

Val Member

She's wrong. As long as the superworms are appropriate size for the gecko then you shouldn't have any problems.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

like val said, its about the size relative to the size of the geckos head. for worms they should be no longer than the length of the head and for crix and locusts they should be no bigger than the width of the head. as long as you remember that there shouldnt be an impaction risk with any feeder.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sepand

sepand New Member

Length of her head? Geez, isn't a superworm the same length as your finger (at least your pinky)?? Thatt's bigger than a gecko's head.

12. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

Worms aren't born that way, though. They go through stages and get bigger depending on size. It's possible to get right sized superworms.

13. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

like lolla says, the worms grow to full length, they dont start out that way. you can get younger ones which are smaller, the most important thing with supers is to make sure that they are superworms instead of hormone enhanced mealies.

14. iGorx

iGorx Member

usually leos go for the head of the superworm and crunch them up in their mouth part by part. their jaws are strong if you didnt know

15. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Member

Like I have said before, that head size thing is not the rule... It is an opinion that was made by a few people and it just stuck like most false or unfounded information...

An adult leo can take a super worm longer than its head... These reptiles evolved to take large prey items... Honestly, if a leo has trouble taking down its prey, there is either something not right with the gecko or the prey item was way too big... If they can get it past their jaws, it will not have a problem working it down into its stomach...

Full sized supers can easily be taken by leos that are 30 grams and over... Anything under 30 grams should be fed mealworms or other smaller prey items...

A healthy leo will not have a problem with impaction especially from prey items...

16. sepand

sepand New Member

yeah my gecko eats superworms at least twice the length of her head, and she takes them down fine (although right now she's going through another hunger0strike phase, not having eaten anything in almost a month).
    It was this guy workig at a pet store that told me superworms can bite a leo's insides. He said he cuts the tip of their heads with a razor in half!!! and then feeds them to his leo. Apparently they keep wiggling for a long time!! Yuck.

17. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

I believe the "general rule" for worms is 1.5 times the LENGTH of the head. My guys can eat up to 3" worms no problem. They have been for over a year now. So yeah... yet again another Petsmart moron (no offence to anyone who works there on here :) ).

18. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I agree with much of what you said, especially the last part regarding impaction. Though, I can't help but think the length-of-head rule is just to make things easier to learn at first and less complicated. If you tell people they can go bigger, I bet you'll see more people going too big.

Now, mind you, I do go bigger and I've had no problems. I get what you are saying, but to someone new to the hobby/pet, wouldn't it just be simpler and less up for opinion to say length of head?

19. sepand

sepand New Member

wasn't actually petsmart! It's somewhere my brother went in Toronto to buy a new tank for Gego (she's now happily moved from a 10 gallon viv to a 20 gallon, which cost $25 ($19 USD) + cover. Pretty good price, huh?

20. Gregg_M

Gregg_M Member

Well I guess it would be easier, but easier is not always correct... I would rather "start someone out" with the facts rather than the easy way to do things... However, you do bring up a valid point...

I am not a rule of thumb kind of keeper... I go with what works well for me... Unfortunately, back when I started keeping reptiles, there was no real internet resources to fall back on and almost everything was self taught or learned from the experience of other keepers in my area...

Honestly the correct way to do things is the way things work best for you and your captives... The only thing that bugs me about these "rules" is that they are taught and followed like some sort of heptological bible... The fact is that there is no backing to these rules...

The only things that need to be followed strictly are basic husbandry needs like temps, humidity and proper diet... Everything else is up to the keeper and what they feel is best...

If you want to stick to the head size rule, that is fine, but not everyone does and that is fine also...

21. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I thought of that as well.

Goddamn young whipper snappers :)

I don't know about no backing, as much of everything has backing, no matter how small. Though, I do agree, some rules can be bent and stretched.

THOUGH - The thing is, day after day you are helping people. You get people cussing you out, being utter fools, and so on. We had at least 2 or 3 in chat I can think of yesterday and today alone. It gets tiring, and I suppose people get used to these facts because the repeat them so much, almost like a macro. While I don't agree with any ultimate law in regards to anything, I can understand why these facts get cemented in to each individual website. People say them so much its just..Easier to say it fast and simple.

Agreed.