Can someone help with info? (roughneck monitor)

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Pat&Diane, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Pat&Diane

Pat&Diane Embryo

I recently purchased a Roughneck Monitor, but don't know where to look for some basic information about them. Diet, Bedding, Sex, Age, etc..

Can someone please point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

Diane

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well no offense but the 1st mistake you made was not looking up information before purchasing you herp. anyway lets correct it. rouchnecks are slightly terrestrial and will burrow so raw dirt is your best choice of bedding, but they are also arboreal and since they can get up to 4ft they will need an enclosure at least 5'Lx5'Hx4'W. Home Depot sells Top Soil in a 40lb bag for $1.50. Diet with all monitors is the same rodents, crickets, mealworms, ground turkey, raw chicken, small amounts of fish (feeder fish are fine). age can be determined by the person you acquired your monitor from. sexing any monitor is very difficult and the only ways to determine sex is by having a vet probe your monitor or watching it defecate. when it defecates if you see a penis come out of its vent then it is obviously a male if not then it is a female. they need an overall temp of 80-85F, night time temp should drop to 70-75F with a basking spot of at least 120F but no more then 150F. UVB is not needed with any monitor because their hide is too tough for the UVB rays to penetrate, but some breeders use UVBs and some dont use them and there is really no adverse affects whichever route you take. they need a water bowl big enough for them to soak in and usualy defecate in there so it should be change daily sometimes more then once a day.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pat&Diane

Pat&Diane Embryo

Thanks alot for that info!

The only reason I didn't do any research was because the person that had him/her had bearded dragons that I was buying, he said take all or none. They weren't being cared for at all, mostly dehydrated, so I bought the package deal to give them a much better life than they had.

But I do understand, no offense taken. WAY too many people buy animals like furniture and it kills me!!!

You wouldn't happen to have a good website to look up some more info would you?

Thanks again!
    Diane

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

unfortunatly i do not have a good site with information on them, but generally monitors all need the same care.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. yesITis

yesITis New Member

yeah roughnecks are pretty sweet monitors so u should have fun caring for it