Can an enclosure be too big???

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by koma, Dec 18, 2004.

1. koma

koma Embryo

Greetings everyone,

Last week I bought a single baby Red Flame Crested Gecko. I have read that it's important for Rhacodactylus geckos to have a tall enclosure. Smeagol, my Crested Gecko currently lives in a glass enclosure that is 24”x12”x16”. I was planning on getting a larger enclosure when s/he gets a little larger. I have seen enclosures that are 30”, 36” and 48” tall. From what I have read in books and online a 24” tall enclosure is good for two or three geckos. Would something over 24” be a bad thing for just one? What would be a good height for a single gecko?

Thanks,

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I would say 24-30" high is just fine for an adult. A juvie would most likely get scared and stressed in such a large enclosure, but that size is fine for an adult.

The only downside to having a larger enclosure would be trying to find your gecko. Especially if its heavely planted. If this is the case prey items could also hide easier. But I think a 24 - 30 inch tall cage will be just fine. Your gecko will love the room!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ieatglue742

ieatglue742 New Member

is a 20 gallon too small? 16 in tall

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

No, thats actually the recommended min for an adult. You can move a crestie at the age of 6 months into a 20 gallon tall and they can live in that size for the rest of thier lives.

O, and keep in mind your looking for the 20 gallon Tall/High enclosure. It measures 24" x 12" x 16" . Height is more important than anything else.