buying soon

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by iggy_lover, Jul 13, 2004.

1. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

i read up on iguana information and i convinced my parents to let me get one. i've also read the negatives and positives about both sexes. i'm not sure wich one is better male or female. Could someone help me decide?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I've worked with both and can't say that one is better than the other. They all have their little quirks. I hope you know that if you are buying a young animal then it may be nearly impossible to tell the sex. It sounds like you may have done your homework before deciding on whether or not to buy. You are aware of the housing and special diet/lighting needs they have right? Is this your first herp?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

yes i've been doing research. i am quite aware of the special needs. no this isn't my first one. i have a green anole. i was just worried about the egg thing with the females and the agresstion with the males in their breeding season.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

Well, usually the biggest problem you could have with female is if their eggs bind and aren't laid. A vet could help you out with that by injecting Pitocin (Oxytocin) the same thing they use on human women to induce labor, to help the iguana lay the eggs. Severe binding can cause death and some eggs may have to be removed surgically. As for males in breeding season, many, in my experience, only show aggression in the prescence of other iguanas. If this is your only iguana, then chances are you won't have to worry about that. The iguana may still be aggressive/defensive especially as an adult, but usually not as much as when other iguanas are in their territory.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

thanx that helps i've had some trouble about this subject.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

No problem! Feel free to ask any questions you like whenever you like. It never hurts to ask around and make sure, even when you think you know the answer. Melissa Kaplan has a great site (she's like the queen of iguana care...she wrote "iguanas for dummies") it's anapsid.org...it's chock full of info on iguanas and other lizards. Check it out if you haven't already!

12. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

thanx and i did already it helped quite a bit.