Build A 180 Gallon Chameleon Screen Cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by fyre, Mar 25, 2005.

1. fyre

fyre Embryo

So I finally got fed up with my 65 gal reptarium. It’s a horrible place to keep your pet.
    After a few weeks of scouring for a nice aluminum screen cage, I decided that everything out there is overpriced crap and set out to build my own.

I’m about 70% done with the entire cage and the cabinet stand. The cage is made out of aluminum window screen and aluminum window screen frames. Same stuff the $150 aluminum cages are made out of. My cage is 24Dx48Hx36W equaling to a 180 gallon tank. The cage sits on top of a 36Wx24Lx8D tub that will prevent any water spills during heavy misting. Also crickets have a hard time getting out of the 8’ deep tub. So if any of them wind up in the bottom, they won’t roam around and bother my chameleon.

Did I mention that ALL the materials ran me around $50 and all from Home depot!

Here are some pics (it may take some time to load), I’ll post detailed plans and a how-to very soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that looks awsome so far

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

That looks very good, good job! Thats also very cheap too. I recomend to the people that are looking to buy those expensive aluminum screening cages, that they can make one and to also look the way they want it for more then half the price. This is a very good example of how cheap and nice your cage will look like and do what you want with it instead of paying hundreds of dollars. Your chamelion will love its new home!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TheTurtleStore

TheTurtleStore New Member

Do they make corners to join the panels at a 90° angle? That cage came out very nice! I need 4 of them for a new project...so I may end up making them instead. I like the tub on the bottom...I can put an aquarium bulkhead in there and drain them all to a bucket or aquarium...thanks for sharing!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kitsune79

Kitsune79 New Member

Wow Awesome!!!!