Breeding Cricks

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by kavinos, Nov 30, 2004.

1. kavinos

kavinos Member

Ive been trying to breed cricks for quite a while now.

I have a colony of well over 100 crix, with 2 tubs, one with damb vamiculite in it, the other with damp top soil.

The crix are chirping away 24/7 in there. However, I can never see any eggs in the soil and I haven't seen any baby crix in there. Whats going wrong?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

They bury the eggs up to an inch or two deep when laying them, so you will not see the eggs easily.

From the time they lay eggs it takes about 10 days to 2 weeks for them to incubate depending on your temps in your crick enclosure. You HAVE to keep the temps around 80 to 85 and you HAVE to keep the soil moist or the eggs will dry out and not hatch. You can use a simple spray bottle and mist the soil as much as needed. Ideally the soil should be wet enough to easily pack or clump, yet not soupy.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kavinos

kavinos Member

ah ok shrap, thanks. I dont think ive been getting the soil wet enough. Will vermiculite also work?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

I have never used it for cricks personally, but I do not see why not. I always use sphagnum peat moss and it works real well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tmx

tmx New Member

Hey shrap,
    Where could i purchase sphagnum peat moss, would it be somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot or? Please let me know, i've been using just potting soil, and it seems to dry out quite quickley. So i was looking for something that would dry out so quickley. Let me know, Thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

You should be able to find it at almost any place that has a "Garden Center". Lowes, Walmart, Meijer, some Ace hardwares, Home Depot, etc.