Blizzard Phase Corn

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by jayhawkbruce, Aug 18, 2007.

1. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I am not new to the site but this is my first post outside of Leopard Geckos, so Hi everyone in here!

There is a beautiful blizzard phase corn snake at a pet store where I live. Most blizzards I see for sale on-line have some very light patterning, this one has absolutely NONE!! I was going to buy it but my wife said no, as I just bought a bigger tank for my Leo(and the substrate to go with it) and a new mini dachshund to breed with our female. Should I buy it anyway and risk pissing off my wife or is it fairly common to see a blizzard phase corn without ANY patterning whatsoever? I have a feeling she will let me in a couple more months. My idea is that if they hatched one they will hatch more but I am torn over what to do!! They also have a striped blizzard, almost as beautiful as the straight up blizzard.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Blizzards are not rare by any means. And most blizzards are almost patternless. Are you sure that you know the difference between a snow corn and a blizzard corn? I ask this because snows definitely have a visible pattern, and blizzards don't have one.

And I'd be VERY surprised if the 'blizzard stripe' is actually a blizzard and not a snow. Blizzard stripes ARE rare and would be quite expensive. More likely is that it's a snow....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

RE: Re: Blizzard Phase Corn

I am familiar with the two different morphs. What they call a striped blizzard is quite possibly a striped snow, I did mull that over in my head as well. It is priced at $50, the same as the blizzard. VMSHerp and Cornutopia, to name two, have snakes that they call blizzard but, while it is VERY faint, there is patterning clearly visible. I held the snake at the store and looked at it very closely, seeing absolutely zero patterning.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

WOO HOO!! My wife said I could get the snake under the conditions that we agreed to... now I just have to get the store owner to take my 10 wild caught African cichlids and their roughly 30 adult/juvenile/baby fry from me in exchange for the snake!! Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for me, I really want this little guy(or girl) and I have a nice big 55 gallon to put him in!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my new baby! She's about 15" and absolutely gorgeous.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of putting him in a 55 gallon, at least not to start with. They prefer smaller spaces, you'll want to make sure you have PLENTY of hides for a snake that small. Also, i wouldn't handle just after a feed. You should wait 24-48 hrs, as you don't want a regurg.

Apart from that, gorgeous snake! I'd love to be able to get hold of blizzard, but theyre somewhat a rarity over here. Good luck!

12. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I only held her to get some photos, and she is in a 10 gallon for now. I wonder what it would take to ship a snake across the Atlantic, as the store that I bought mine from has several of the snakes.

13. 00luke00

Lol, unfortunately it'd probably be around 4 times the price of the snake lol!

Got a name yet?

14. deb02

deb02 Embryo

That is the next snake I want to get. Patternless Blizzard. They are so pretty. I even have 2 names picked out for female! LOL. Good Luck with your new baby.

15. Timr_05

Timr_05 Embryo

Beauty of a snake Great choice :)

16. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Thanks man, they've got plenty more from the same hatch, too bad you're in Europe! Is it easy to find a lot of different morphs over there?

17. 00luke00

Easy, pretty much,

Cheap, NO.

Lol :)

18. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Yeah, I guess it might have something to do with the fact that the snake is native to the US. There are no snakes in the UK, right? Maybe that is Ireland. I remember this story as a kid about a pied piper and he led all the snakes into the channel and drowned them? You should take a trip over here, buy a ton of different morphs, pay whatever it takes to get them through customs, and breed your own stock to sell to all your fellow Brits. (Lowere the price somehwat but still keep it high enough to make some money, of course!)