Big tank heating

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by elf6, Jun 21, 2004.

1. elf6

elf6 Embryo

Hi, I just got a new tank for my boa. Its 8fx4x4, its a converted museum case, 1/2inch plexi walls, solid oak floor and top. We are changing the top a bit obviously to allow for lots of ventilation but we have a problem with how to heat it. We can't put a heater underneath because of the wood and have no idea as too the melting point of plexi glass.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and soon my poor snake wants a bigger home:)

elf

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Pebo

Pebo New Member

well if you are changing the top, can you put a heat lamp on top of the cage?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. clamper

clamper New Member

if you use the at least 3/8 inc plxy glass build a sub floor in the bottom and put your heat lamps in the top

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

How thick is the floor of the cage?
    I use a human heat pad under my 3/4" thick melamine cages supplemented by ceramic heat elements in the cage. Another option is to router out a spot in the floor to allow for a heat pad to fit.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. elf6

elf6 Embryo

Alright well we picked up 2 lamps and will be getting one of those human pads:) It will take some tweaking from here though...and we still need to screen the lid, right now we have lots of holes drilled in but that won't do for very long. We put her in last night and she seems very happy with her new larger space, its almost like having a zoo showcase...except bigger lol
    Thank you everyone for your responses, we appreciate it:)