Bearded Dragon Enclosure Setup

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jaedon, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jaedon

Jaedon New Member

Here is a couple of sketches from MS Paint

Let me know what you think.

*The substrate is slate tile*

Attached Files:

StikyPaws312 and JEFFREH like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Looks great - Nice and simple, safe layout with all of the necessities for a beardie. Looks like you are ready to go = )

The only thing I have to add is entirely personal preference: If you didn't want to use both a UVB producing flourescent 'tube' bulb and a heat lamp you can get the best of both worlds in a UVB producing mercury vapor bulb (MVB) such as Zoomed's Powersun. The benefit is that you only need one bulb to meet both the temperature and UV demands, and they last longer (12 months before replacing as opposed to 6 in tube bulbs). The downside is it can sometimes be a challenge getting temperatures correct while staying within the desired distance from the bulb... MVB's produce substantially more ultraviolet radiation, and can be no closer than 12" away from the basking reptile. This can sometimes complicate attaining the desired basking temperature.

Again, its entirely personal preference. What you have there looks great! If going for the flourescent bulb for UV I would recommend the ReptiSun 10.0. Although there are some other good bulbs out there (the 5.0 was used for years by beardie keepers before the introduction of the 10.0 without problems, and Exo-Terra's ReptiGlo 8.0 has also been known to perform well in testing).

Jaedon likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jaedon

Jaedon New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll look more into MVBs. I'll try to post pics of the finished enclosure at the end of the month.