Bask light burned out in 1-2months

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by caganimalover, Apr 22, 2006.

1. caganimalover

caganimalover New Member

We just got our Bearded Dragon January 21st. We have already changed the bask light 1-2 months ago and it already went out yesterday April 21st. I would have thought that they last longer. Is this unusual? We used the Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100watts. Is there a longer lasting light that can be purchased. The timer is set for 15 hours (8:00am-11:00pm). Is this an appropriate time schedule?
    Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

Your bulb should have lasted longer than that. I had a red basking bulb for one of my leos before i started using heatmats, and it still worked after over a year of use.

I dont keep bearded dragons, but have a rankins (very similar in care) and they need about 14 hours of light in the summer months from caresheets I have read.

Hope I was of some help, James

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sirus

Sirus Member

Id check your fixture fro your light, and be sure that it is for a 100 watt bulb. Other than that take the lights back to the store and ask them to replace. I had a red light ( for viewing my geckos) burn out in 3 weeks, and they happily replaced it.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

Stop buying expensive bulbs just get regular household bulbs they will work just fine.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. caganimalover

caganimalover New Member

I can use regular household 100watt bulbs?
    That is a huge price difference.
    Do they have to be set closer to the enclosure?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mrcota

mrcota New Member

As stated by someone else, your bulbs should have lasted longer. I use the same type of lights. Your problem may be with the light fixture itself. Those bulbs burn much hotter than conventional bulbs; they are designed to create heat. If you are using a standard plastic fixture, it may be melting and warping the fixture resulting in a burned out bulb. If you switch to a ceramic fixture, it will take the heat much better and your bulbs should last much longer. Another problem could be ventilation. If the lights are inside the enclosure or are just not receiving enough ventilation, this could also cause too much heat on the light and cause it to prematurely short out.

You can use regular lights, but you will be able to see that they do not create the same focused light intensity nor do they create as much heat for basking, which is why you are providing the light in the first place, isn't it?

12. caganimalover

caganimalover New Member

The fixture the bulb is in states up to 250 watts.

13. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

I would say you happened to get bad bulbs. I use the same bulb in the same wattage for my Uro and have replaced it once since October. The original bulb was used so I have no idea how long it would have lasted new, but this new one I have had since December. I use regular household bulbs for my BPs, but for my lizards I use the reptile bulb. For me it's easier to regulate a basking area.

14. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

I have had a light go out in less than a second. One flash was all I got.

15. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

Re: RE: Bask light burned out in 1-2months

i beg to differ i use regular bulbs and have for a long time, and with the infared thermometer it has the same heat spectrum as any other basking bulb i have used.

16. sk888smooth

sk888smooth Member

RE: Re: RE: Bask light burned out in 1-2months

I would get a 30-75watt small spotlight bulb. I found that these work the best. Depends on the distance but I found that 6" requires 30watts. 50 watt is about 10-12" and 75 is 15-20". You could always get a 50 or 75watt with a dimmer.

Kory

17. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

RE: Re: RE: Bask light burned out in 1-2months

If you email the Zoo-med company and tell them it burned out way to soon. Then they will send you a brand new one FREE. I just had the same thing happen and they sent me a brand new one for no charge!! That is why i like there bulb. It is hundreds of times hotter then the normal bulb the 150watt normal bulb does not make close the as much for my bearded dragon. He got a little bit cold while i was waiting for the new bulb to come.