Basilisk Lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by VividDragon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. VividDragon

VividDragon New Member

Does anyone have any info on Basilisk Lizards? Anyone own one before? Would like any info pos on this lizard :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

I'm pretty sure their care is identical to Chinese water dragons.

Bruno will help once he gets here, he used to keep some.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Vivid,
    Yes I had a pair of females, was supposed to be one of each but it turned out that I had what they call a "hot female" in other words was hatched at high temp to get a male but turned out female.

To the care of them.
    You need a tall tank, mine was 6ft, the floor area wasn't ideal at 36" x 18" but that's what I had at time. The cage needs to be waterproof at floor level, I used peat moss as substrate and kept it very damp, well they did really, they are messy when it comes to using water bath.
    They dont need to be as humid as CWD's but spraying daily kept it good.
    Mine only ate crickets (dusted with cal / vits etc), a few locust, some may eat a little green veg or fruit.
    The viv was heated by a Powersun 100w MVB so I got a good temp at top and a cooler end at bottom, worked well, also had CHE on a dimming thermostat running 24/7, obvious when MVB was on it more or less shut off. My brain cells have had a serious malfunction :) can't remember the temps I had :), think it was about 90F at top and 70F at bottom.
    They are very quick and dont like being handled much, although they were tame enough to hold for checking etc. Watch their teeth, only a tiny mouth but pack a hard bite, one of mine got me and I ended up at hospital as it turned septic but dont be put ff by that it was a "one off".
    A large water tray is needed, they love bathing and pooping so needs to be very accessible for daily cleaning, I used a "cat litter" tray and kept it full about 2½" deep.
    Here's some pics of setup I had, as you can see the glass was always messed up due to splashing around.

So meet Pinky and Perky.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beefcake

beefcake Member

haha, they look like a mix between uros and iguanas