Alligator lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Oregonreptile, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Oregonreptile

Oregonreptile Embryo

Hi there,

I'm new here to forums but not to new to reptiles! I was curious though as to good way to water my new Alligator lizard I aquire in my backyard though. Any suggestions?

Thanx!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome to the forums
    I dont know a great deal about alligator lizards, they are not common in captivity.
    I did find this link to Melissa Kaplin site which does give some info on keeping them, there doesn't seem much in the way of caresheets on the net.
    It may not settle well in captivity if you found it in yard.
    You should also be aware they will drop their tails if you grab it, they do grow back but never a nice.
    Hope this help a little.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Oregonreptile

Oregonreptile Embryo

Thanx for the info! This guy is very docile. He still has his tail as well. It's been my experience with these guys and Western Fence lizards (Blue Bellies) that when well fed, handeld gently and put on there back in the sun, they just relax! I did get one Alligator that liked to bite when I picked him up,,,I let him back in the wild. Thanx again for the info!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

good thing you release it.
    wild caught animals are never too healthy. i have got an experience with a sick green tree dragon that is sick, paracite infected, well. i didnt survive long :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

Most wild caught animals should be healthy.. some animals just do not handle captivity well.. when they have been wild their whole life.

Alligator lizards are quite easy to keep...

If you want to see a really cool one.. do a Google search for Abronia graminea

Too bad they are not more popular in the hobby.