a small addition to our growing family

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by cracka350z, Jan 27, 2007.

1. cracka350z

cracka350z New Member

well i got a dumpy tree frog for my girlfriend last night...and the freakin thing woke us up at like 3 am...lol. sounds like a dying cat. hes really cute though. hes in with my crested...is that a bad idea? hes not tiny so im not worried about the gecko attacking him. im paranoid but i think hes gonna be ok. at the store where i bought him he was in with a crested gecko about half the size of mine. i know they say dont mix species but everywhere i go i see tree frogs in with geckos.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Just because the pet shop is short on space, focused on sales and clueless about proper care doesn't mean it's a good idea. I don't know much about frogs but do know they should not be housed with cresties, or any other type of anything really. Set the frog up in it's own tank, they will both be happier and safer.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Clementine is right. pet stores just do that to save space. In reality, you should never mix species.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

It is a very bad idea to house different species of anything together. There are some main concerns that will help you see this.

1. They can transfer parasites to eachother and will ultimately lead to a greater problem or even death.

2. The tempuratures and humidity (climate) for each animal is different. Therefore making it very hard to maintain a correct climate for each animal. This will also lead to health problems and the death of one or even both of your animals.

3. They may hate eachother and will fight. This will cause major problems.

4. If one is larger than the other, it might try to eat the smaller one.

5. They may stress eachother out, which in most cases causes them not to eat and become very skinny and sickly.

6. A small tank is just not a big enough recreation of nature to shove competing species into it. There is nowhere for the other animals to go to get away from eachother.

To even think about mixing species, you would first need alot of experience keeping many different species separately. Mixing is not something for someone starting out. It is hard to do correctly. Next, you would have to do A LOT of research and find out what species can safely be housed together. You would need to find animals that have the same temp and humidity requirements. Then, you would have to get at least a 100 gallon tank to provide the correct amount of space needed to give each animal its own spot in the tank so that it has somewhere to go to get away from the other if it wants to.