46 bow front project

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Zooomzoomguy, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

well i came here to try to research and get opinions and suggestions for my 46 bow front project, i have no idea what i'm going to keep in it, but initial idea is to have jungle/river type habitat using natural items as much as possible, the picture below is a small representation of my initial idea, i would like to hear some suggestions on species i could keep in it and building idea's.
    the front left blue area will be the water area where i would like to keep couple small tetra's or something simular, the water would have some flow in it, as i will have a waterfall on the back wall and a small stream, the waterfall will be powered by a small powerhead (simular to the skimmers in saltwater type) i would like to keep it forest/jungle like enviroment so the floor would be made out of some sort of soil that i can plant live plants into, the back wall will be covered with some sort of rock or growing plant.
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Dart frogs would really be cool in that set up.I dont know alot about those types of species but there is some ampthibian people on here :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

You would have to get a single species that usually lives around water. I wouldn't be so sure about dart frogs as they are not the best swimmers. It is really up to you. What are you interested in?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

just been brain storming lately picked up the clear plastic for the waterfall and the water divider, i was thinking about built in lights behind the clear plastic for the water part, still not sure about what will be inside there

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

need to figure out how to hide the powerhead and the water filter so its not visible also, maybe build some kind of log or a rock to cover em up...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

how about water dragons... i dont know. i never owned one... so if my comment is wrong.. .DONT LISTEN TO ME! im a crazy person. *foaming at the mouth* "crazy. :)

12. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

lol zuberok ur nuts lol

13. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

i was looking at them but i think my tank will be too small for one, even as a juvi, now is there any other lizards/geckos that will be ok with some water being in the tank? like i don't really care if they don't swim in it, just i don't want to hurt the animal

14. croc_gator_rebeccak3

you know... if i was you, i would be making trips to the lizard forums. maybe asking you questions there :-? maybe you will get some help..... with experienced lizard keepers/ also gecko forums.... but i doubt there are any geckos that seriously love water or can swim.

15. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

hehe yeah i know, but i don't want to post same thing in 4 different forums, i posted in general discussion, they sent me here, now i gotta go to the lizard forums :)

16. croc_gator_rebeccak3

hey maybe.. since this is an important topic and you need expert advice else where that you can post in general lizards... to see what "general" lizards... meaning all that can be put in your project tank.

17. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

made a second design for the tank, still not sure about the contents, debating between water dragon, amphebians or anodes, or changing design for a crested gecko but worried bout keepign tank cool in summer,
    [​IMG]

18. MBK_KID

MBK_KID Member

maybe a garter snake?

Azza

19. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Just a note on design, how do you plan to do the water changes?

20. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

LOL I was gona ask the same thing before I saw your post Tux.
    Im guessing you could syphon it.

Robert

21. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

yeap syphon, same way i do on my fishtanks :(

22. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

That seems like more effort then is needed, you could easily design a removable tray/dish or if you want something really simple add a drain.

23. Zooomzoomguy

Zooomzoomguy New Member

i don't see how its more effort really, this tank used to be freshwater discus tank, so i was changing over 50% of the water every week (thats about 23 gallons) i don't think changing 2-3 gallons is going to be an effort :)
    which design do you guys prefer best? i'm leaning towards the second one right now

24. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

I like the 2nd design best but when i say more effort i mean more effort when compared to the options i mentioned.

25. beezneez

beezneez Member

I like the second design the best.