Young crestie diet

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by mliscool2003, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

Does my hatchling crestie usually require more crix or baby food in their diet? Coz every day he normally eat 2-3 crix, and he is not really eating a lot of baby food. This normal?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

I find they will eat crix and not baby food if there are crix in the enclosure. So if he is filling up on crix he won't eat the baby food.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

diet

Is it really bad for him if he is eating very little baby food?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

Well baby cresties really like insects, but as they get older they will prefer more fruit. Babyfood is like candy to cresties, it has little nutritional value, so either you will have to feed it supplemented babyfood, or CGD.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

CGD

Well, I went to many pet stores near my home and none of them sell CGD :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

and what kind of babyfood is the supplemented babyfood?

12. blazee

blazee New Member

I think he means baby food except you put a little CGD in it.

13. Sobedrummer007

No, CGD is NOT a supplement, it contains all of the nutrients a crested gecko needs. By supplemented babyfood i meant adding calcium and vitamin powder. Look on the internet to buy CGD. It may seem expensive but it will save money in the long run. Do you want to pay 40-50 dollars a month on babyfood, or 60 dollars and have enoungh food for 6 months?

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

That must be some kinda hungry crestie. Even a full jar a day would run about $30.00 a month and that's a generous number. Really, if you feed your crestie baby food every day a jar is goign to last you about 3 days so you're looking at about $5.00 a month for baby food.

15. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

We go through 2 jars of babyfood a week. (little tiny jars) I actually calculated it out, pre month we pay about $30 including crickets. The baby food is cheap.

16. Sobedrummer007

ok, i am not sure how much a jar of babyfood costs, but if you go with LewsKinslayer0's figure of 30.00 dollars a month(with crix) then that is 360 dollars a year, PLUS the money for the supplements to put in the babyfood and on the crix.

Where as you can buy CGD for around 30.00 dollars for a 2.5 lb jar and it will last roughly around 6 months, which equals 60 dollars a year, without crix. And you don't have to mess around with adding in supplements because it has all the nutritional needs.

These are just my opinions.

17. wideglide

I'm not really debating whether or not CGD is good I'm just keeping it real. I see that you push that product fairly heavily and it's important to make sure you have your facts right. :) A jar of baby food is about .75 cents a jar. Multiply it by 8 if you go through two a week and that's $6.00 a month. That comes to $72.00 a year for just the baby food. A far cry from $40.00 a month.

18. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

We are just seeing $'s thrown into the ring, but no one is saying how many cresties they're feeding, how much they put out per day, how much gets wasted each day, how much of the total diet is the babyfood, etc, etc... it's not a clear comparison...

19. wideglide

There's a bunch of variables not being mentioned but you can get reasonably close. It's the extreme exageration I'm trying to prevent, especially if you're trying to advise a particular product.

20. Sobedrummer007

That is probably the largest variable, some people have 1 crestie others have 10, so i guess it depends on how many cresties you have.

I see your point wideglide, but if you are feeding babyfood don't you have to supplement it?

21. wideglide

Yes you definitely have to supplement it which would certainly add to the cost but it would be a very, very minute cost even with a collection of 10 cresties. I've had the same jar of herptivite for over a year now and I've got 17 animals all raised from babies and other than the new baby beardie I just got the youngest of those is just about a year old. Again I'm certainly not questioning which is the better deal I'm just making sure everyone reading has the ability to make decisions of thier own based on accurate information. :)

22. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

crestie

Do I still have to add vitamin powders to the baby food if I am already gut-loading crix with foods that contain these vitamins?

Also, can some people suggest a web site where I can buy CGD and have them shipped to Canada?

23. wideglide

Yes it's still necessary to add supplement and it depends on the age as to how much to add of each. You'll want both a calcium supplement and a multivitamin supplement. For young cresties dust the crix with calcium about 5 days a week and the multivitamin the other two days. For older cresties you'd use the calcium about twice a week and once a week with the multivitamin. It is still necessary to gutload your crix with good quality food even if you are using the supplements. If you're not gutloading well I'd up everything to one more day a week.

24. mliscool2003

mliscool2003 New Member

dust

Ok, will the T-Rex Cricket Dust do the job?

25. wideglide

Which job are you talking about? :)