Yet another corn feeding question...

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Sm0ke42o, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Sm0ke42o

Sm0ke42o Embryo

My 6m.o. hatchling corn Eden, is an extremely vigrous eater. I had her on a 7 day feeding cycle but noticed she began getting very hungry by day 6. She currently eats 2 pinkies every 6 days and eats them both as if they were her first meal in years. So here lies my question; She acts as if she would gladly take another pinkie if I would giver her one, so should I step up to 3 pinkies a week and change her to a 7 or 8 day cycle? I don't want to over-feed her but then again I dont want to under-feed a growing snake.

any thoughts.

BTW I dont think she is big enough for fuzzies yet, so im ruling that out.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I don't have much experience with these yet but from what I understand with a small growing colubrid it's not a bad idea to feed it a pink twice a week until it gets a little bigger. I can tell you with both my milksnake and kingsnake I had them on a weekly diet of one pinkie but that just wasn't cutting it at all so I started on a twice weekly diet and it seems to be working better. Both eat well but don't seem to be as aggressively looking for food as much.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. susyq

susyq Member

try 2 pinks every 5-6 days, they shouldnt really be fed any more than that in my mind as in the wild not every kill is successful. all mine hatchlings get fed 1 pinky every 3-4 days until they are approximately 8-12 weeks then i put them on 1 pinky every 5-7 days until they can take a fuzzy, and they all are spot on for wieght and condition. hope this helps