yellow stripes, purple tail ... what is it?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by maggsw, Aug 28, 2005.

1. maggsw

maggsw Embryo

We live in southeast Texas, wooded area, just north of Houston. Lots of lizards/geckos/salamanders in and around our house.

Spotted something this afternoon with a long narrow body, bright yellow stripes on a black background, brillant purple tail and small legs. Wondering what kind of gecko/lizard/salamander/newt etc. it might be???

Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

Maggie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. General48

General48 Member

wow if only you had a pic sounds gorgeous

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. maggsw

maggsw Embryo

My husband spotted it just outside dining room sliding door. Ran under doorsill. We went out to try to find it but no luck. Camera was upstairs. Will move cam downstairs to have at the ready.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. General48

General48 Member

lol sounds like a plan if you get a pic definitely post it it sounds pretty cool looking

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. maggsw

maggsw Embryo

We haven't see the critter again but a moderator in the General Amphibians forum suggested a few things and we found a picture of the creature online. Looks like it's a young five-lined skink. Found pic on this site: http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLanding...lined_skink.htm ... also some good images at Google Images but a lot of the skinks there have bluer tails.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StockrA

StockrA New Member

i alway's thought most reptile's that had bright yellow colours with black or red in them ment they wer dangerou's

12. jarrell

jarrell New Member

no way i see those things all the time my dad catch one too.

13. moshpitrockchick

moshpitrockchick New Member

Sounds like a 5-lined skink to me, I had one when I was younger, he was fast! But once you got him out he'd sit on your hand and just chill out with you, they don't have much in the way of teeth, but once they bite down they dont like to let go!

14. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

wow sounds beautiful, i bet its some sort of swift might wanna se http://prehistoricpets.com/ they might have a pic of it. i think they sell reptiles but they might be selling one and have its pic.

15. Xotic-liz-kid

Xotic-liz-kid New Member

house geko

16. johnink

johnink Embryo

I saw the exact same thing over here in Kentucky. When it saw me, it froze, and twitched it's brilliant tail, as if to make sure I'd bite that end if I were so inclined. It was tiny, and really neat.

17. sickend

sickend New Member

sounds like a skink