yeah i back with more questions.....

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by ryka, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ryka

ryka Member

Hello! No I still havent decided for sure if I will be getting a corn sanke yet... But I have some new questions for you! :( lol Ok here goes:

I was told recently that a 20 gallon long is big enough for an adult corn (4-6 feet). That seems so small to me... I have my bearded dragon in a 4 foot cage and she is only 18 inches.... I know different reptiles different needs. Is that true though? I thought that an adult needed a 40 gallon breeder....

Also, if I got a big Flat rock and put a heat light above it so that it warmed up the rock for belly heat, would that be ok and I wouldnt need a heat mat?

Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LeoLady

LeoLady Member

I've heard of a lot of people keeping their corns in a 20gal, and it might be completely fine, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that for a fully grown adult, especially if it's a large one. It would be good for a while, though, if you're getting a juvie or a baby.
    I would still get an UTH-it's easier to make sure it is getting proper heat that way. Your corn might not feel comfortable being so exposed on the flat rock to bask just yet since it will be in a new environment-and you want to make sure he/she is warm for digestion.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ryka

ryka Member

Does anyone have a picture of an adult corn snake(4feet+) in a 20 L? Maybe that would help me... lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I have my male in a 28 gallon long, and it seems like a great size for him, though I can't guarantee I'll never put him in a bigger one.
    This is my male, and his enclosure is to the right.

[​IMG]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Just what is a 28 gallon long? I've never heard of that before.

The most common size are 20L, 30 breeder, and 40 breeder. Most adults corns are fine in a 20L, but you're not going to hurt them by getting a 30BR or a 40BR.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Maybe it's a canadian size???? Made by hagen. It's 3 feet long, 1 foot wide, and 1 and a half feet high.

12. ryka

ryka Member

Thanks Janice and Joe,

I think im going to get a 40 gallon breeder the 20 L seem too small to me.

Thanks again!