Would this tank work?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by burningwillow, Sep 22, 2008.

1. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

I am thinking about getting a corn snake. I have a fish tank that I think might work, it has 30 in. length, 12 in. width, and 18 in. height. Would this be good for a corn snake, or at least untill what age?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

yup, its a 30 gal, same floor space as the roccomended 29 long

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

Okay, do you think a corn snake would be able to escape the tank. It doesn't have a top but I will make one, don't know how escape proof it will be though, if the height is 18 in. would it be able to climb out?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

yes it will need a screen top, you will also need either cage clips or something to weigh it down with. You can buy a screen top and cage clips at just about any pet store.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

if it is 30" x 12" x 18" it is a 29 gallon.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

Thanks! Should I move it to another container to feed it? I'm going to use paper towels for substrate and was wondering if I could feed it in there?

12. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

personal choice..

Aspen also makes a great substrate and can give the snake a little more security.

13. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

okay, I read that paper towels are good for a hatchling, which I will probably get. So I will use half aspen half paper towels(so I can feed it in the tank). Is this okay?

14. bAlLinLiKeAbOa

bAlLinLiKeAbOa Member

you have yourself a nice tank.

15. burningwillow

burningwillow Embryo

I got a cornsnake hatchling yesterday at a reptile show. She appears to be settling in quickly. How long should I wait to feed her?

16. MimC

MimC Moderator

I've never had any troubel keeping any of my hatchlings on aspen..i think it helps them to feel more secure. They are good climbers so a secure lid is a must!

You should probably give her at least a few days before offering food - in this time its best ti not handle her until she is eating for you. If she doesnt eat when you first offer food then leave her for a few more days and try again :)

17. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    A hatchling is best kept on paper towel for now.
    Personally I wouldn't use aspen the reason being if even just a small sliver gets stuck to its food it could cause internal damage. That or feed outside the tank.
    I would give it at least 2 or 3 days to settle then try a warm pinkie mouse. I would also use feeding tongs/tweesers, that way keeps smell of your fingers off the mouse, this sometimes puts them off feeding. I know from experience after raising over 400 hatchlings.
    It can be fed every 5 or 6 days, then after about 4 or 5 months can be spread out to a week or 10 days, depends on snake some will always eat weekly.
    Make sure you have plenty of hides dotted around both at warm end and cool end and middle of tank so it has a choice of prefered temperatures.
    The reason I no longer use aspen, I lost 2 corns through gullet damage, torn as it went down.
    I now use flax or hemp, aspen is wood based where as flax is vegatable and will pass through system better.
    Obviously the choice is finally yours but thats my opinion.
    The tank is good for a few years depending on how big it will end up.
    Rule of thumb is length + width = size of snake that can be kept in it, in your case 30+12 = 42 inch snake, so plenty of time if you need a larger tank.
    A secure tank is a 100% must, they are the greatest escape artists, remember if it's head will go through the snake will go through, they can flatten their bodies beyond belief.
    I'm sure you get a clip-on lid with no problems.
    Hope he settles in OK and you enjoy him for many years.

18. MimC

MimC Moderator

Good point bruno! If you are gonna feed in the cage go with paper towels or omething similiar...i always feed outside the cage so i never even think of it!