would like to aquire (some aquariums)

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by coldbloodedkeeper, Jul 4, 2004.

1. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

i would like to aquire an aquarium 2 preferably but the prices here are outragous!! is anyone have any they could send me? i will help with shipping. thanks in advance for any replies.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sirch

Sirch Member

try going to a retail store and look (i got a 10 gal but i wouldnt put water in it, oh yeah, and rinse it out) or eBay it

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Where are you?
    What size cages are you looking for?
    What do you want to keep in the tanks????

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Yeah, what Stormy said.

Sharon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

With the weight of tanks, the shipping alone is probably going to cost you more than the purchase price of the tanks locally - not to mention they're glass and will probably not even survive the trip.

Where are you located? If there are any shows in your area attended by Twin Oaks (www.glasscages.com), they have EXCELLENT prices on their tanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. coldbloodedkeeper

i am in doniphan mo. and im wanting to put frogs in the aquariums tree frogs. the hoods for the aquariums a 10 gal alone are almost 40 bucks!! probably just a couple 10 gals. or one 5 1/2 gal. and 1 10 gal. my dad knows how to make them i just cant find glass eighther:^. i will look into that glasscages.com thanks for any help.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Where is selling 10g tanks for 40 bucks? Because even PetSmart has them for only $9.99.

13. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Um, yeah, you need to learn how to shop. Walmart has 10 gl tanks for $7 - $9.99 most days.

I score 10 gls every weekend at yardsales for $3. Once I point out that I have no way of knowing whether or not the seals are any good, the women just cave in and give me the tanks at my asking price!

Walmart also has 10 gl, screen tops that are actually pretty ingenius and they are all you need for a frog tank. The tops sit FLUSH with the top the tank frame, there are sliding locks, and access holes (big enough to put one of those hamster tunnels through) and a bit of wire screen running down the middle. And they aren't much more.

But no offense coldblooded, if you didn't even know that about the most popular "super" store in America where nearly every kid has at least checked out the critters and their supplies (even my 9 yr old knows he can get a critter keeper there within his allowance) are you really up to keeping frogs?

And $40 for top???? Lemme guess, either you checked out a double or triple light hood, or .... or.... or.... dang, not even a florescent top w/glass costs $40. Sorry not even at the high cost independent petshop in town do tops cost that much.

And again, even Walmart has florescent aquarium hoods, WHICH are inappropriate to keep frogs with. They don't BREATHE. You need a screen top that lets air in and OUT.

I almost feel guilty for giving this "hidden" information out.

Sharon

14. coldbloodedkeeper

well i got a screen top for 8 bucks,at the petstore here in poplar bluff. but their aquariums are outragoues, and i do believe they were flourescent hoods however i didnt get one because i could see how the animal breathed. i know about walmart but the ones here are at least an hour away and still dont have much selection at all. the only 2 walmarts near here are in pocahontas ar. and poplar bluff. they both suck they dont even sell tadpole food like the petstores do. and being 14 i am wshort on money i am trying to get a job but right now its pretty much impossible..even if i got a work permit noone would hire me.

i will look into the petsmart thing. i guess my ten gallon aquarium was a ripoff for money then, i feel bad now it was a gift, and they got screwed. i wondered about the hoods they didnt look to be to airy, the petstore uses those for its chameleon... should i say something?

15. cheriT3719

cheriT3719 New Member

I usually hit rummage sales and like Goodwill and thrift stores. Sometimes you can catch awesome deals. Plus spread the word. I was talking to my nursing clinical group and one of the girls asked if I wanted her 55 gallon tank for free.

16. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Chameleons have a higher humidity requirement, so short term housing with a "fully enclosed top" should be ok.

As for sucky walmarts, irregardless of tadpole foods, as far as I can tell, Sierra Vista, Douglas, Tucson, Phoenix AZ ALL at least carry the bare 10 gl tank for about $9. SOME of the stores have 5 gls and all have 20 gls as kits only though.

At 14, there is baby sitting, shoveling dog doo doo, raking leaves, weeding flower beds, scrubbing garages floors or driveways, washing cars, walking the neighborhood dogs... Make a simple flyer on your computer listing yourself as a handy dependable (be honest) 14 yr old willing to do those things for money, set a fee for each chore, have mom or dad print up about 25, and go door to door handing them out. Give it a week, then print up another 25 and hand those out, if your response wasn't high enough the first time.

Have a sales pitch for your experience with each chore ready for those people who call on you. If you don't have experience with babysitting, then offer to be a mothers helper, you play with the kids while she ... watches her favorite show, does laundry, grabs a shower, and in general does household chores.

Good luck.

Sharojn

17. coldbloodedkeeper

ferret corner thanks for the list of things i could do i will talk to my gramma about it and see what she says. i have babysat before so will see if thats an option. since the cameleon needs high humidity that must be why they said that they are hard to keep.

cheri, i will check out the goodwill here and see if maybe i can get one.

thank you.